Hilo Hawaii - Is this volcano tour a good one

sun16

We are on the Celebrity Solstice - May 7/17 and I am searching out things to do. One of the things I would like is some type of volcano tour.

This is the description of the volcano tour:

Overview

Visit Hilo, the flower capital of the world. Your exciting tour begins with a stop at Rainbow Falls and Akatsuka Orchids before continuing on to the main attraction, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Standing tall at 4,300 feet above sea level, this incredible landmark features magnificent mountains and molten lava rock formations that will take your breath away upon first glance. You'll also stop at the Kilauea Visitor Center, Jaggar Museum, and the Thurston Lava Tube. HL02

Do you think this is worth the $75. Or if anyone has other tours they have taken, I would be interested.

Thanks

Thoughts... the volcano's can be experienced by land, sea, and air. I went with another tour company many years ago to see the magic of an active volcano and want to say....

By land.... the Kilauea Visitor Center is 29 miles from Hilo. I got to see the crater, but I did not get to travel around the rim (dangerous gases). I was so disappointed that I did not get to see lava.

By air... I got to see the abandoned towns, I got to see steam from lava entering the ocean, I got to briefly see glowing lava around the Puʻu ʻŌʻō vents. But the Helicopter stayed 10 miles East of the Kilauea crater. Was this a safety precaution or because the Kilauea crater is a no-fly zone for sightseeing helicopters.

http://www.bluehawaiian.com/bigisland/video/Big_Island_Volcano

I'll let others comment on the water experience.

Do compare costs with a helicopter tour.... you might find that land tour to be a bargain. However, by combining both land and air experience, I loved the Big Island so much more.

Enjoy your visit to the Big Island....

http://www.bluehawaiian.com/bigisland/video/Big_Island_Intro

We are on the Celebrity Solstice - May 7/17 and I am searching out things to do. One of the things I would like is some type of volcano tour.

This is the description of the volcano tour:

Overview

Visit Hilo, the flower capital of the world. Your exciting tour begins with a stop at Rainbow Falls and Akatsuka Orchids before continuing on to the main attraction, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Standing tall at 4,300 feet above sea level, this incredible landmark features magnificent mountains and molten lava rock formations that will take your breath away upon first glance. You'll also stop at the Kilauea Visitor Center, Jaggar Museum, and the Thurston Lava Tube. HL02

Do you think this is worth the $75. Or if anyone has other tours they have taken, I would be interested.

Thanks

For close to the same price, you could have a tour with only about 6 in the vehicle rather than a bus load. Check out Mary Lou's Big Island Tours ( Hilo and Kona ) on Trip Advisor. ( see thread Private Tours on Hilo and Kona just down the board, post # 5 for another's cruisers experience with them. ). They were wonderful the two times we have toured with them and I've yet to see a negative word about them. All tours led by family members only. Semi customizable from a list of options they provide pre cruise.

Edited by punkincc

We will be on the Solstice with you. We are doing a helicopter tour with Safari helicopters. When we were in Hilo before on POA, we did the ship land tour of the VNP, it was really good too.

Thanks Merinski - I noticed it shows you are from Canada. Where about? We are just outside of Windsor Ontario.

Have you checked Roberts Hawaii?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

We did this excursion in the spring of 2015 (off a Princess ship) with Roberts. Tour was fine, the only downside was we were in a big 40 passenger bus. If doing it again I would hunt down a tour operator who uses smaller van-type vehicles. You have to be sure to check out their "get you back to the ship on time guarantee" tho !!!

...VTX-Al

I think VNP is a must on the big island. The Thurston Lava Tube especially.

You could probably rent a car and see this -- I know we did -- but sometimes its nice to relax, do the ship tour, and not worry about getting back to the ship in time.

I've been to VNP twice. We will be going back to Hawaii in July. We are opting out this go-round. We'll be taking in the Akaka Falls and the Botanical Gardens just to be doing something different.

But I sure wouldn't miss VNP.