food bank chicxulub and school visit in Progreso

grammi

Has anybody recently done a visit with a donation to the Chicxulub schools. I see some old posts but nothing recent. I have also sent out a couple email without response. Our family really wants to visit.

We winter in Chicxulub, and support the activities of the the Chicxulub food bank. This past winter we saw a couple of cruise ship groups at the Thursday Muelle Market. While the organizers of the food bank are year round residents, many helpers only winter in the Yucatan. Here is a link to their web site. http://foodbankchicxulub.com/cruise-ship-visits-9/. School will be out for Holy Week and Easter.

• 8 months later...

I know I'm coming into this thread months late, but hope that my experience can help others who may be interested. I was made aware of the food bank by someone else on my Valor cruise which I just returned from today. I contacted them through the giant social media site which shall not be named and got an almost immediate reply (search "Chicxulub Food Bank and you should find their page easy enough). We made arrangements to visit and were given more instructions as the date approached so we knew when and where to meet. In the months leading up to the visit I began collecting school supplies and had a large backpack that probably weighed about 20 pounds by the time we sailed.

Once off the ship we took the bus into town. A very short walk from where the bus dropped us off, we met Sharon and Jody from the food bank outside the market across from the lighthouse. We sat and talked for a while, while they told us about the food bank and the schools in Chicxulub. After that we all got into Jody's car and headed out. Chicxulub is only about ten minutes away and you never really leave the city. You only know you've crossed from Progreso to Chicxulub when the light poles are painted yellow. We drove around and they pointed out various sites and told us about the town and the people. We stopped near the town square, waked down to the pier, then visited the local church and the market, visiting with numerous local people along the way. Everyone we met was very friendly.

They drove us by the schools so we could see them for ourselves, but we were unable to actually go in. It turns out that during the school day, they are locked down to keep people out who don't belong there and to keep the kids from deciding to take the day off after roll call. After that we drove around and visited more of the town before heading back to the ship. It was a great experience and one that I'm glad I got to do.