White water rafting Juneau

goduckies05

I went on this a couple of years ago. Hated it! First off it was a wet, cold, drizzley day. I was given a pair of rubber boots to wear and when I put my feet in them, they were wet. Soaked through my socks and turned my feet into instant icicles. I wasn't the only one. We got in the rafts and started off. There were a couple of mild rapids (maybe Class II) and then what seemed like hours of meandering through people's back yards and some woods until we got to the takeout by the main road. Hard to tell what was more miserable - the weather or the hypothermic people with wet, cold feet in the rafts. By the time we got to the end, everyone got out of their gear as fast as they could and took off for the warm buses. One girl was shivering so hard her teeth were chattering.

Normally, I go on excursions and pretty much ignore the weather. However, giving people wet boots and putting them out in the elements for 2-3 hours with cold feet really led to an unpleasant experience. If it was a warm, sunny day and the boots were dry, it might be an amusing but unexciting way to spend some time in Juneau. However, there are a lot of excursions I would pick over this one...

If this is the Mendenhall Glacier float trip, it was a lot of float and very, very little rapids! So not worth it! Beautiful scenery, but a very slow float. We did a white water in Denali that really was white water and my 6 and 8 year old nieces at the time said that was so much better than the slow float.

Since you all didn't like this excursion... what do you recommend as an excursion in Juneau? Will the denali river rafting be offered once on the land tour, or is this something I have to book separate from the ship?

I am going in July and have the Float trip booked currently but if it's not good I need to change it. Just don't want to miss river rafting.

charlie