Packing (Help)

monis20

This is my first time going on a cruise, so my first time packing for a cruise. I was wondering where should I pack like my teezers, nail clippers, and razors, things like that. In my carry on or the check bags?

Thanks ahead for any info that you can give me.. :)

You may not bring those items in your airplane carry-on, so they will have to be in your checked bags.

Do not lock your luggage; we always use cable ties, which cost pennies at Home Depot. Bring extra for the flight home. We carry our regular luggage locks and keys in our carry-on bags.

We tuck the nailclippers in an outside compartment of one of the checked bags. Before handing our luggage over to the porters at the pier, we snip the cable ties with the clippers, and apply the regular locks to our bags.

You really don't have the same worries about packing as those who are flying. The tweezers, nail clippers and such can go into your carry on if you wish. You will be able (and should!) lock your luggage before handing it over to the porters, no cable ties necessary.

But, with the exception of the razor, why not tweeze, clip, manicure and all those other things you have to do before you leave? Then, you can leave all that paraphernalia at home.

I love to pack light and not haul along a bunch of stuff. My clothes, my camera, my pared down toiletries are all I need.

Put any valuables and any items you would need before 7 or 8pm - meds, swimwear, clothes for dinner, etc., in your carry-on, as sometimes it takes several hours for luggage to arrive at your room.

This is excellent advice. For convenience, we checked all our bags at the port, except my small one in which I had a swimsuit and coverup -- but like an idiot, I forgot to put any of our OTC meds in the bag of mine that we kept out. We regretted it when a couple hours later DH came down with a bad headache, and the bag with our meds in it didn't show up at our door until around 5:30pm.

DH's brother almost had a "clothes emergency" because his long pants and non-sandal shoes were in his checked bag, and their mom would have had a fit if he'd showed up to dinner in shorts and flip-flops... fortunately, the bag he needed showed up a few minutes before 6pm.

best,

Laura

We tuck the nailclippers in an outside compartment of one of the checked bags. Before handing our luggage over to the porters at the pier, we snip the cable ties with the clippers, and apply the regular locks to our bags.

Why cut off the zip ties? I like them over the luggage locks since I can tell if my luggage has been tampered with. I see zip ties as a type of seal. If they're gone or missing, then I know someone has been in my bag. With luggage locks, I'm not usually as convinced. I also use bright neon colors, which aren't likely to be in the porter's pocket should they become interested in my luggage. In the cabin, I might use the luggage locks, but I prefer zip ties otherwise.

We also use the zip ties. If you do, don't pull them tight. Leave some space so you can cut them with the clippers. You can carry nail clippers now. I have 1 in my purse. I put another one in a zip bag that has extra zip ties in the outside compartment of our luggage.

Gail

Why cut off the zip ties? I like them over the luggage locks since I can tell if my luggage has been tampered with. I see zip ties as a type of seal. If they're gone or missing, then I know someone has been in my bag. With luggage locks, I'm not usually as convinced. I also use bright neon colors, which aren't likely to be in the porter's pocket should they become interested in my luggage. In the cabin, I might use the luggage locks, but I prefer zip ties otherwise.

I never thought of it that way, and it makes sense. I guess the lock and key gives me a more old-fashioned sense of security:)

I do like having the locks, though, especially when staying in a hotel. If the hotel safe cannot accommodate my laptop, I will lock it inside one of my suitcases for a little extra security. Not foolproof, but a deterrent none the less.

Incidentally, we always leave our laptop on the vanity top in our cabin, with no problem.

That's a good tip, we're driving to port next weekend, I may do this (if I remember!).

I never thought of it that way, and it makes sense. I guess the lock and key gives me a more old-fashioned sense of security:)

I do like having the locks, though, especially when staying in a hotel. If the hotel safe cannot accommodate my laptop, I will lock it inside one of my suitcases for a little extra security. Not foolproof, but a deterrent none the less.

Incidentally, we always leave our laptop on the vanity top in our cabin, with no problem.

I always travel with a hard-sided suit case for this purpose as well. I even go as far as bringing a bike lock (the cable type) so that I can lock the suit case to the bed or closet. Better safe than sorry.

You may not bring those items in your airplane carry-on, so they will have to be in your checked bags.

Do not lock your luggage; we always use cable ties, which cost pennies at Home Depot. Bring extra for the flight home. We carry our regular luggage locks and keys in our carry-on bags.

Teddie, I didn't think you could lock your luggage. I was told if the luggage was locked that they would cut the locks off. Do you know for a fact that you can lock your luggage without a problem?

Thanks for any info.

Hi there...Im about set to go on the Rhapsody on the Jan 8th sailing. For the life of me, I never could understand WHAT TO DO with cable ties. Could some one explain it to me in such a simple language that even a baby could understand?

My question is this: Im flying in precruise. Can I cable tie my checked luggage before turning them over to the airlines to put underneath? Why or why not?

As for the Ship, I am gonna cable tie my luggage no matter what, before I turn it over to the porters.

Why can/cant I use cable ties for the airlines?

Explain to me in laymens terms, make it so simple it sounds like I'm an idiot! Hehehe:D:D

At the port you can use any kind of locks you want. The bags aren't subject to search in the same way as they are on airplanes.

On airplanes, if you want to use a lock, get the TSA approved kind.

That's the benefit of zip ties. They are cheap and can only be removed by cutting them off. When I've handed over my bags at the airport, I've been asked if the locks were removed. When I told them I simply had zip ties, they seemed pleased as they could easily be removed if need be.

As others have said, the luggage can be locked for when embarking and disembarking. It's only at the airport that you'll have a problem with locked luggage.

Hi there...Im about set to go on the Rhapsody on the Jan 8th sailing. For the life of me, I never could understand WHAT TO DO with cable ties. Could some one explain it to me in such a simple language that even a baby could understand?

My question is this: Im flying in precruise. Can I cable tie my checked luggage before turning them over to the airlines to put underneath? Why or why not?

As for the Ship, I am gonna cable tie my luggage no matter what, before I turn it over to the porters.

Why can/cant I use cable ties for the airlines?

Explain to me in laymens terms, make it so simple it sounds like I'm an idiot! Hehehe:D:D

You can, and should, use cable ties for the airlines. Are you familiar with the airport you are going to? If so, consider their security checking when you check in. Our airport will open the bags, even the checked ones, so I don't tie it until after they have done their search. Then I can tie it and take it on to check-in. I've been to another airport where I could have tied it right away, as they did not care to search the bags that were being checked. If you aren't familiar with the airport's security checking for checked bags, you may not want to tie them until you ask at check-in whether or not they want to see inside the checked bags. But they do appreciate the cable ties over the luggage locks.

Archived