Barcelona airport for Disabled

willieg

We are going on the Millennium TA Eastbound in April and will be returning to the US from the Barcelona airport. DH is disabled and will need a wheelchair to maneuver the airport and I will need help with all the luggage. He uses a cane, but can't handle walking long distances and can't help with luggage.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to handle this with a minimum of trouble? I have talked to Delta, but they were not much help. We will be using Celebrity transfers from hotel to airport.

I suggest you take your own wheelchair. If he cannot walk far, you will need it on the ship anyway as well as for ports. We never depend on the ship's wheelchairs, which are getting more and more difficult to get, and are heavy. Many cruise lines no longer let you take them ashore.

You will find porters in Barcelona just as in any other international airport. Tip them and they will take care of your luggage and assist you in getting through the airport.

I agree, you would be better off with your own chair. A scooter would be even a better choice for on board. If your DH needs a wheelchair for the airport, he would probably be better off with one on the ship also and you can not depend on the cruise line to provide one except for embarkation and disembarkation.

We just flew into Barcelona on Delta a few weeks ago. It is large, but accessible. I would suggest that it might easier to use a private transfer rather than Celebrity's. We used Taxi Internacional from the airport to our hotel and then from the hotel to the pier and found them to be extremely helpful.

Archived