How can I upload digital pictures while cruising?

Iowa cruisers

We will be sailing on the Conquest 12/11/05 and was wondering if anyone knows if I take my digital camera SD card to the photo gallery on the ship if they would they be able to put my pictures on a CD (just like you do at Walgreens) and then would I be able to use the CD at the internet cafe to email a picture home?

Just trying to figure out how I can get a picture home while we are cruising.

We will be sailing on the Conquest 12/11/05 and was wondering if anyone knows if I take my digital camera SD card to the photo gallery on the ship if they would they be able to put my pictures on a CD (just like you do at Walgreens) and then would I be able to use the CD at the internet cafe to email a picture home?

Just trying to figure out how I can get a picture home while we are cruising.

Hi Iowa Cruiser! Unfortunately the CPU's in the Internet Cafe's are locked up and you cannot put anything in or connect to them. I always bring my laptop and connect via wireless. Doing this I can upload pictures, use my own e-mail setting and have all my own programs.

You will need to find out what the ships outgoing mail servers URL is and change it in your SMTP Server settings.

Good luck!

In my cruise budget, I allowed a certain amount to spend. A good 1/3 of it was storage cards for my camera. That way, I can have three of the cards that will hold about 400-500 pictures. I do this because I refuse to carry the laptop, and all it's accessories, on vacation and I don't need to keep in touch with work. The cards are very small and don't take much room in the camera case I will always carry.

Was your original question how to email "a" picture home, or download your entire memory card so you can take more pictures. I have heard the photo lab can make a CD for you for a charge if that is your goal.

But I think the OP was just trying to ask how to send "a" picture home. Not sure if this would work, but you could try one of the internet cafe's on land if you need to get "a" picture home to someone before you physically arrive back home.

When we were on the Conquest in February the photoshop onboard DID NOT have the capabilites to put my card onto cd. They may have changed it since then. Thankfully I had my laptop and uploaded pictures onto cds myself. Taking the laptop is a pain thru the airports, but very convenient for this purpose. On our cruise in 13 days, I still have not decided whether I want to bring laptop or not:confused:

You could go to Carnival site and email guest relations about this subject

Was your original question how to email "a" picture home, or download your entire memory card so you can take more pictures. I have heard the photo lab can make a CD for you for a charge if that is your goal.

But I think the OP was just trying to ask how to send "a" picture home. Not sure if this would work, but you could try one of the internet cafe's on land if you need to get "a" picture home to someone before you physically arrive back home.

I was not concenred about downloading the memory card so that I could take more pictures but what I wanted to attempt to do was email a picture home while on the Conquest 12/11 and then have a friend make up my Christmas cards with that picture that said "Holiday greetings from the Carribean" and have them sent out before friends/family expect us to be back home on 12/18- Thought it would be creative since we will be (hopefully) in warm weather while the recepiants of the cards would have 20 degree weather and snow!

I was not concenred about downloading the memory card so that I could take more pictures but what I wanted to attempt to do was email a picture home while on the Conquest 12/11 and then have a friend make up my Christmas cards with that picture that said "Holiday greetings from the Carribean" and have them sent out before friends/family expect us to be back home on 12/18- Thought it would be creative since we will be (hopefully) in warm weather while the recepiants of the cards would have 20 degree weather and snow!

That's really rubbing it in!!!! :)

I think your best chance would be to check into the internet cafe's that will be in your ports of call.

You might check with the Internet cafe manager. Often they will have a card reader available during their normal hours and allow you to upload photos to email. It does after all, increase revenue.

My husbands laptop doesn't have a card reader. We purchased a small multi card reader that plugs into the USB port. It is about 2" X 2" X 1/2" with a USB tail. I think the key would be to make sure it didn't require software to be downloaded to the PC.

If the Internet Cafe doesn't have a card reader, that might be an alternative.

Right in my experience the internet cafe doesn't want to risk having any virusses put on their system so they won't let any external input come in (memory cards etc). I'd really bring just a laptop and power cable with you, that way you can do whatever you want. My laptop has a memory stick port right in it so I just stick my memory sticks into it and am all set. That way too I don't worry about losing the memory stick, because I have a backup on my laptop. I'd have to destroy both the laptop and my memory stick to lose the photos :)

I imagine you might be lucky with a port-side internet cafe but even there many of them don't want to deal with memory sticks, and the risk of damage to their computers. You could always ask around to other passengers, I have a feeling that 50% of cruisers travel with laptops now :)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a RoadStor on Ebay for like $50 and copy whats on my cards to CDs plus with the right TV you can connect and look at pictures and watch DVDs if you want to take a couple with if youre up weird hours like we are.

We could not use our roadstor device on the television on the Conquest early last month. There was video in on the back of the television in the stateroom, but no channel accessed the port. We still used the device to burn our photos to CD's but were unable to use the television for viewing them. Keep that in mind.

• 5 weeks later...
I bought a RoadStor on Ebay for like $50 and copy whats on my cards to CDs plus with the right TV you can connect and look at pictures and watch DVDs if you want to take a couple with if youre up weird hours like we are.

does the roadstor play back in color or just B&W mine only does B&W and was wondering if thats normal

Archived