Just off the Diamond on 6/05, don't hate me....

cydspal

Do you remember what night the crab legs were served? Which dining room?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by timesurfer7:
Hello everyone. Just wanted first to say thank you for all the great help in getting ready for our cruise to Alaska. We just returned yesterday from the Princess Diamond. So I too have some comments. (Good thing I am on this board and not my husband.I will have a hard time to persuade him to take another cruise.He has agreed to take one for our 30th (in 10 years) to the Mediteranean so he can show me some places that he has seen. He is a pilot in the AF) Before I forget Steve (sphinx) we saw your young waitress and told her you said hello. She was serving those next to us. I also was a table mate of another cruise-critic officiato Linda and had a great time with her and her mom. Here goes. Weather was beautiful the entire time. We had been upgraded to a Penthouse from a mini and were very pleased to say the least. If you need any dimensions or how many drawers were in the suite let me know. I have all the paper work that was given from the Patters to the laundry list for prices and the spa prices. Room was fantastic and the balcony was huge. Ship was clean and spectacular. I agree with the above that the food was bland and not very plentitul. Had more of a variety on Carnival. First two days we could not serve ourselves but then it reverted back to the old way.I did not feel like I was bombarded with people taking our pictures. The entertainment was great. Don't miss the two broadway productions or the ventriliquist. Great time. The wait to get off the boat for different ports was sometimes up to and over an hour wait for whatever reason. Very disorganized. You would ask one person what was going on and the next person would have a different answer. Princess needs to brief up their people better. Our steward was not very good even though we had tipped him before the cruise began as was suggested here. His answer was always "it is not my job" rather than as princess states he should say "I will find out for you." Canapes were always dried up and tastless except for the little cream puffs. Afternoon tea was great but make sure when you call you state that you want the "Afternoon tea" or they will just bring you a pot of tea. Sandwiches and cookies should be included. The best of all the suite perks was the free laundry and dry cleaning. Just make sure that you keep track on what is being billed to your account. We had laundry billed as well as internet service (one of the fews hours that it was up and running so don't count on being able to get on everyday or you will be disappointed) and they had to then take it off. The average age was probably 60 (we are in our early 40's) with very few kids. The hot dogs were great as well as the King Crab legs. We had dinner on shore in Juneau just so that I could have King Crab and it was awful. The ship did a better job. If you are in Seattle pre or post try Barnaby's for dinner. Excellent food. Also the restaurant at the top of Space needle was fantastic food also. The spa was great and yes I was pressured to buy the products. Had an oxyzen facial, the sea weed wrap, manicure and pedicure done. By the way, on the last day they will offer you massage treatments for 50% off the regular prices. But don't sign up for them until the night before or you will be charged the full price. If anyone has a question about the cruise, size of the suite, exact amenities, what was on the menus etc. please let me know. I am sure through the tons of paperwork that I brought back,I will ahve the answers. Or will find it out for you. Happy crusing to all of you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Blessed in this World,

Lovin Life

Lovin Life,

We were also booked in mini suite and were upgraded to full suite. I thought at first it was because we booked very early and also platinum members. However, we spoke with a couple of suite upgraders where this was their first time on Princess. I'm beginning to think it's just the luck of the draw and maybe by booking early.

Lynda

Lovin life,
I believe we had crab the night before the second formal night which if memory serves me would have been on Wed. As far as the Patters go will have to get with husband or son as to how to get them on this server. But once I figure it out I will. I will also post the prices for laundry and the spa. As far as the upgrade, I don't know. Perhaps because we booked in October for a May cruise? Maybe because it was our 20th Anniversary? Or just luck? Whatever the reason I would take it again. Take care and blessings to you all.

"I think the average age on board was about 62."

Not flaming here, but I represent that remark. Just wondering how that would affect your trip as a negative.

Spongerob - I knew that chef sounded familiar. Was he on the Grand 4/4 trip. The fetuccini on our cruise was delicous. I didn't want to order it for a meal, so on the last evening asked our waiter if I could have a little bowl of it to taste - it was very good.

I do want to thank you for your report cydspal, it was very enjoyable and informative. Now if I could only get DH our of the Caribbean Cruise Mode......

Grand Princess 4/4/04

fnewman - Any day you are on a cruise is better than your best day at work. Right now I think I could even drink the coffee. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Grand Princess 4/4/04

Northender,
I never recall hearing someone on their deathbed saying, "I wish I had spent more time at work and less time cruising." LOL!

Bop [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Dawn Princess 97
Sun Princess 98
Grand Princess 99
Crown Princess 00
Royal Princess 01
Celebrity Century 02
Star Princess 1/04

You got that right, Bop. I hope when it is my turn I am looking out a window at the beautiful Caribbean - don't even care what Island. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Oh ya, and I hope I have spent all my money having a good time.

Grand Princess 4/4/04

Northender,
My wife and I recently changed our will to read, "Being of sound mind, we spent it all."

Dawn Princess 97
Sun Princess 98
Grand Princess 99
Crown Princess 00
Royal Princess 01
Celebrity Century 02
Star Princess 1/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Northender:
fnewman - Any day you are on a cruise is better than your best day at work. Right now I think I could even drink the coffee. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Grand Princess 4/4/04
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You are Sooooo right. Even the anticipation is better than working, which is what I am doing right now!!

Frank Newman

My husband and I were on the Mariner of the Seas a month after it sailed. No "bugs" there?
When they say the food was bland tasting, I don't think that has anything to do with the newness of the ship? They will keep the same recipes. I would think?
I believe that there are a lot of times that we give these cruise lines too much slack! If someone makes a negative comment they are often slammed for it. It makes you wonder about the folks doing the slamming? I feel bad that she had to say "Dont hate me for this but"... It just goes to show that some folks on this board don't feel that they can be honest. We want to hear the truth. Good OR bad. I do anyway. And that is MY opinion. I am glad you found some good and fun on the cruise. Maybe try another line next time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When they say the food was bland tasting, I don't think that has anything to do with the newness of the ship? They will keep the same recipes. I would think? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Bland is in the eye of the beholder...I would think that one's experience with food would determine whether or not they felt the food bland. Some have more discriminating palates than others.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I believe that there are a lot of times that we give these cruise lines too much slack! If someone makes a negative comment they are often slammed for it. It makes you wonder about the folks doing the slamming? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> You’re kidding aren’t you? Slack?? Have you really read these boards? The cruise lines are getting blamed from everything from bland food and poor service to being unable to dock a ship because of acts of God. Those of us doing the “slamming” – and I’ll include myself in the bunch – I think are just using common sense. But if you feel the cruise lines are being given slack, then I wonder about those NOT doing the slamming…
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It just goes to show that some folks on this board don't feel that they can be honest. We want to hear the truth. Good OR bad. I do anyway. And that is MY opinion. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I think we all want to hear the good and bad points. But sometimes posts are not at all objective or realistic and those are the ones that are normally questioned. Unfortunately, many posters take clarifying questions defensively.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Maybe try another line next time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yeah - give RCI a try...

-------------------------
Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

When were you notified of the upgrade? Did you know before you went or did you ask at embarkation? We too booked in October for this June Cruise and we are past Princess Cruisers as well - We've had our cabin assigned since the booking because our 4 year old is joining us so we couldn't take the guarantee option - However, my parents booked their mini-suite at the same time and are still showing "Guarantee" this is their Second Princess cruise so I will keep you posted!

Thanks, 11 days and counting!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lyndabaker:
Lovin Life,

We were also booked in mini suite and were upgraded to full suite. I thought at first it was because we booked very early and also platinum members. However, we spoke with a couple of suite upgraders where this was their first time on Princess. I'm beginning to think it's just the luck of the draw and maybe by booking early.

Lynda<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Blessed in this World,

Lovin Life

Lovin Life--DW and I are also booked for a mini-suite on the June 19th cruise. I got a guarantee last December and have been stuck on AC status since 12/31. If you get upgraded, and we don't, let me know thereafter who we were supposed to bribe! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Les

Response to bdjam... I am not surprised that I got this response from someone. I don't understand why you would have such a strong reaction to what I said? It is just common sense to me. I wonder why you are so defensive. I won't waste time arguing the point. I do get upset when someone expresses their opinion and then a "message board bully" gets all head up about it, and says rude things. ( not referring to you bdjam)
I have tried several lines. I have liked most of them. Including Princess. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by LovetheSea on 06-08-04 at 08:26 PM.]

Lovin Life,

I kept checking on the cruise personalizer. We were originally booked in an AD GTY category and upgraded to AA cabin D401 about a month after booking. We booked last October for May 04 cruise. Over a month prior to cruise, I saw on cruise personalizer that we had been again upgraded, this time to premium suite. What wonderful perks. I felt like wealthy royalty and was treated as such. If not for cruise personalizer, I would not have know about upgrades. No one ever called me or emailed me or anything else. Might have been fun to be totally surprised, but I'd rather know.

Lynda

Hey, you are the first person I've heard that is on the cruise with us! Good Luck to you with the upgrade! So far we are in AD cabin E720 my parents are on a AD "Guarantee" I'll check the cruise personalizer on line!

Maybe we'll bump into you on the ship!

We'll be the one with the well behaved 4 year old (SMILE)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by taxatty:
Lovin Life--DW and I are also booked for a mini-suite on the June 19th cruise. I got a guarantee last December and have been stuck on AC status since 12/31. If you get upgraded, and we don't, let me know thereafter who we were supposed to bribe! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Les<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Blessed in this World,

Lovin Life

Thaks Lynda - I'll cross my fingers!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lyndabaker:
Lovin Life,

I kept checking on the cruise personalizer. We were originally booked in an AD GTY category and upgraded to AA cabin D401 about a month after booking. We booked last October for May 04 cruise. Over a month prior to cruise, I saw on cruise personalizer that we had been again upgraded, this time to premium suite. What wonderful perks. I felt like wealthy royalty and was treated as such. If not for cruise personalizer, I would not have know about upgrades. No one ever called me or emailed me or anything else. Might have been fun to be totally surprised, but I'd rather know.

Lynda<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Blessed in this World,

Lovin Life

Northender: Where in my post does is say that my belief that the average age on board was 62 was a "negative". It is what it is.

My quote: "I think the average age on board was about 62"
Your quote: "Just wondering how that would affect your trip as a negative"

While our family is not in that age range, I did not state it was a negative...you did. By stating the average age it would give future crusiers an idea as to what to expect on board (i.e. if they have teenagers who want to party with hundreds of others they might not want to chose this boat). Thats negative?

And as far as being flamed...I have been reading this board for more than 2 years (on and off) and my OPINION is that when you read someone's post who tells the TRUTH that leans towards the negative, they can usually count on a few flames...I read one a few weeks ago where a poster really trashed the Diamonds food quality and he was hung out to dry...I now see what he was talking about having cruised 4 other lines before Princess, (and running restaurants for 25 years) they need to work on their food!!
Some posters treat these ships like they are their own children who the teacher trys to tell them that maybe their children really aren't perfect and the parents are in denial, get defensive, etc....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cydspal:
Just a few quick notes until we can catch our breath. Don't flame me for being honest, just our opinions:

The ship is big, clean and very pretty.
The service was OK to good in most cases.
The food is bland, not bad, not great.
We really liked PC dining. This helped. The only obvious negative is that the servers don't try as hard as traditional dining for indirect tipping reasons I guess.
Our balcony cabin and bathroom was the smallest (we opened the door on day 1 and gasped) in 7 cruises.
I think the average age on board was about 62.
The kids clubs get the worst score, the girls working up there did not care, our kids would tell us that they would not do the scheduled events, just sit around and play Playstation. We signed a doc stating that our girls could NOT sign themselves out and they kept letting them out anyway. Security?
Alaska was great, A+. We did think that coming into Victoria for a few hours at night was a waste, but I guess thats all they could do.
My 7 year old got sick on day 2, they sent in a crew with jumpsuits and masks (looked like HAZ-MED). Lucky, she was better the next day.
There were several instances poor communication from the ship, crew, etc.
I don't mean to be negative, just honest. It just seems like Princess is "still working out the kinks".

All said, we had a good time, made the most out of the negative issues and loved Alaska. Feel free to ask me any questions!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe it was your last paragraph as quoted above and thought that what you commented on including the age line were what you considered negatives. Your post heading "Just off the Diamond on 6/05, don't hate me" was, to me at least, not positive. I guess I am just getting sensitive in my old age (60)and hope that the younger folks who want to cruise won't mind sharing their experience with us golden oldies who can still have fun with the best of them.

If I misread anything you wrote, my apologies. Glad you loved Alaska. DH always said he wanted to do this cruise but has now changed his mind. Enjoys the Jimmy Buffett life too much.

Grand Princess 4/4/04

Good grief! I thought I had wandered onto the Celebrity Boards again!

Dawn Princess 97
Sun Princess 98
Grand Princess 99
Crown Princess 00
Royal Princess 01
Celebrity Century 02
Star Princess 1/04

LOL!! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Northender, Never apoligize for being 60!! It is wonderful. I love being 60. It is a "NEW" young, a freedom, it is making a decision that is for us, not the entire family. It is coming and going without worrying, getting up late, staying out late. Having fun without worring about what everyone else thinks. Going by the rules because we know that is the right thing to do. Standing up for what is right, because we believe it. It is truly awesome, and I would not go back for anything!! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Sue
7 days on Star Princess 10/24

GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY..... GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Archived