Fins? Too Cold?

skm

We're going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel in Feb. Would you recommend fins? Also I'm reading alot about the water temps being too cold and wet suits needed? Is it just a preference? The reason for coming is so I can snorkel, I don't want to buy a wet suit to just spalsh around. I'm also reading alot about SMB and Rum Pointe on Grand Cayman, how is the rest of the island as far as snorkelling? I don't really want an excursion, I thought about renting a car and driving around the coast. Is finding parking hard? I've been places in Florida that there was NO PARKING except for the public beach parking lots (very crowded and far from the beach) Thanks, SKM

We're going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel in Feb. Would you recommend fins?
Only if you are going into the water ;) Yes, fins are highly recommended for snorkeling

Also I'm reading a lot about the water temps being too cold and wet suits needed? Is it just a preference?
I would expect water temps of 79 +/- a degree in Feb. in GCM, maybe a degree or two less in Cozumel. Do you need a wetsuit? Probably not just for snorkeling. A lot has to do with your personal cold tolerance. Just be sure to protect yourself from the sun. A wet white t-shirt is transparent with it comes to UV protection.

The snorkeling from SMB would be some of the least exciting on GCM. If you want to see the most fish, you will do better to snorkel from a rocky shoreline. Hard structure is needed for growth of corals and sponges. Sand doesn't provide the necessary base to attach to.

I waited for bruce-r to reply to this post. I wanted to see what his reaction to the fins question would be. Well, let me add my two cents......I'd rather have fins than a snorkel for snorkeling. I can always look down thru my mask and mouth breathe. Fins are critical for many reasons like fighting current and staying afloat easier come to mind immediately. Trust me......the weaker the swimmer, the more important fins become.

As for water temp, I agree. For snorkeling you will be fine. The water is colder at depth so SCUBA is different. Also, watch for sun on the back while swimming face down. And finally, I have snorkeled at Cayman with friends who were not certified. We used Foster's snorkel boats. They take you about a few hundred yards from the tender dock where the coral and underwater outcroppings attract lots of fish. Beach snorkeling requires a special situation like found on Maui's Kaanapli coast where the coral starts about 50 feet off the beach. As bruce-r stated so well, you need places for fish to hide and sandy bottom, beach snorkeling won't make it. Have fun, Cayman is great for snorkeling and diving.

[Fins are critical for many reasons like fighting current.

Can you give some details on the currents to expect around Grand Cayman and Cozumel ? How much is determined by the tide, and how much is a constant current ?

We are planning on doing an excursion in Grand Cayman with a combination snorkel and sting ray city, But we would also like to do some beach snorkeling on our own.

Archived