taxi ripoffs in FLL

Brianinidaho

Trent...

I have a directions question. We will be taking a taxi from FLL to the Holiday Inn Ft. Lauderdale Beach. What would be the best route as far as taxi fares go? North on Federal Hwy,east on 17th St then north on A1A OR north on Federal Hwy all the way to Sunrise then east to A1A??? Thanks for the help.

That's about the same distance either way, and doesn't have an easy answer... If you go over SE 17th Street the bridge doesn't open as much as the Sunrise Blvd. bridge, but the beach traffic can be bad at times. It's usually faster to go up to Sunrise Blvd. and over as long as the bridge doesn't open at the wrong time for you. If you go during "rush hour" though traffic through downtown Fort Lauderdale can be bad, at those times it's usually quicker to go up the beach.

Trent....thanks for your help. We'll be getting in about noon on Saturday, so we won't have to deal with rush hour traffic. Taking Federal to Sunrise may be our best bet then. My family used to spend the summers in the Ft. Laud./Pompano area years ago and we used to laugh about trying to decide which route to take based on the drawbridge schedules!! :) Anyway, if we hit the bridge at the wrong time we'll just have to sit there and enjoy watching the boats pass under!:)

Yeah, the bridges can really make a big difference! It's always a gamble with those, but on a Saturday afternoon Federal Hwy. to Sunrise should be a lot quicker than going up the beach, unless it's a nasty day and no one's going to the beach. A1A can really be bad on a nice weekend day though.

We are staying at a hotel that has shuttle service before and after Carnival Cruise. So if I understand right we shouldn't need a taxi either way?? Is this how it works??:confused:

Well no, if your hotel has airport/cruiseport shuttles or if you paid for transfers through Carnival then no, you won't need taxis... The wait for a shuttle can sometimes be quite long, they're crowded and inconvenient though. Personally I use taxis or limos and avoid shuttles as much as possible, but to each his own.

Well, sitting at a drawbridge on a warm sunny day watching boats go by sounds like heaven right now. Thermometer here is reading 12 degrees tonight and we're under a winter storm warning for thurs. and friday. Can't wait til saturday!!!:)

Hi Trent,

Would you have an idea of what I can expect to pay for a taxi from the airport to the Beach area Holiday Inn and then to the pier?

(3 people with luggage if that makes a difference)

Thanks for your help

mspeg - I'm not real up on the newly raised taxi fares, but perhaps somewhere in the $25 range from FLL to the Holiday Inn, $20 or so from the Holiday Inn to Port Everglades. The fares to Port Everglades vary quite a bit though as to which part of the port your ship is docked in. It's a very large facility.

mared1 - The quickest way from Hilton Garden Inn to Port Everglades would be to just get on I-95 north (it's a half block from the hotel), and then take I-595 east right into the port.

If anyone is staying at the Amerisuites they do have a free shuttle from the airport to the Hotel. However, they make it very clear that after the cruise their shuttle is only for guests staying their post cruise. If you are going directly to the airport after your cruise you are on your own. Lots of taxis at the port, and the metered fare should be less than $14 for the car load. Always insist on the meter, not some quoted fare. That is where I got burned. Brian

We also got taken by a cab driver due to my not paying attention. The driver did not turn on the meter and I did not catch it ! From the pier to Amerisuites he charged us $18. We disputed the charge but he said we agreed on the fare. We later talked to a police officer directing traffic at the port and he said he hears this all the time but it is a civil matter not a police problem. By coincidence while we waited to board we talked to two ladies who were charged $22 from airport to pier. Pay close attention when getting into Lauderdale cabs. When they don't meter I am sure its all profit for the driver.

We have just returned today from a cruise into Port Everglades, the Taxis could not have been better.

We paid $25 for a cab from Pelecan Beach Resort to Port and that included tip, we thought that this was reasonable. Had no problems with taxi meters etc.

We also had limo from Port Evergaldes to Pelican Beach Resort and that only cost us $35 inclusive of tip. We had heard that it would be at least $50.

Please don't give all taxi drivers bad names, we certainly found them very good and very informative.

R.

We have just returned today from a cruise into Port Everglades, the Taxis could not have been better.

We paid $25 for a cab from Pelecan Beach Resort to Port and that included tip, we thought that this was reasonable. Had no problems with taxi meters etc.

We also had limo from Port Evergaldes to Pelican Beach Resort and that only cost us $35 inclusive of tip. We had heard that it would be at least $50.

Please don't give all taxi drivers bad names, we certainly found them very good and very informative.

R.

Wow, I wish we would have had your taxi driver!! Yes, it is never wise to use a broad brush to paint everyone in a group a certain way. It does seem to me there is enought taxi rip offs happening in FLL for folks to at least be aware of it and go by the meter. Maybe it is the same single guy doing all the ripping off? Either way, it might be a neat item for an investigative reporter. Where is Geraldo when you need him?:) Brian

Well, I wanted to report, I did file a complaint with the taxi board. Someone above gave me an email address and I got a very fast reply!

So thanks..

The problem is that I must have written down the taxi number wrong. So they could not do anything about it.

next time I will double check the number.. better yet, next time I will just pay the meter fare plus a reasonable tip.

Hope this thread has saved some folks some cash and frustration. Brian

• 1 month later...
hopefully by now they have better rules/regulations locally...

Listed below are the local (Broward County) rules/regulations. What would you suggest to make them better?

CONSUMER INFORMATION

Taxicab Passenger's Bill of Rights

As a passenger in a Broward County taxicab, you have the following rights (based on the Broward County Motor Carriers Ordinance):

• to ride in a clean, safe, and secure vehicle; to ride in a vehicle that has a Broward County taxicab operating permit (the number of which should be the same as the number on the vehicle);
  • to be transported by a driver who has in his/her possession a current Broward County chauffeur's registration (otherwise called a hack license), which I have the right to inspect;
  • to be transported by a driver who maintains a neat appearance and who treats me in a professional and courteous manner;
  • to be transported to my destination by means of the most direct and economical route possible, unless I agree or instruct the driver otherwise;
  • to pay for the transportation based exclusively on an operating taximeter and based strictly on the rates approved by the Broward County Board of County Commissioners, as posted in the vehicle;
  • to report any problems with the vehicle or the driver to the Broward County Consumer Affairs Division at
    (954)765-5350.

If you have a complaint or a problem with taxicab service, please contact the Taxicab and Limousine Regulatory Section of the Broward County Consumer Affairs Division at: 954-765-5350/Fax 954-5309

or E-mail: consumer@broward.org

Listed below are the local (Broward County) rules/regulations. What would you suggest to make them better?

CONSUMER INFORMATION

Taxicab Passenger's Bill of Rights

As a passenger in a Broward County taxicab, you have the following rights (based on the Broward County Motor Carriers Ordinance):

• to ride in a clean, safe, and secure vehicle; to ride in a vehicle that has a Broward County taxicab operating permit (the number of which should be the same as the number on the vehicle);
  • to be transported by a driver who has in his/her possession a current Broward County chauffeur's registration (otherwise called a hack license), which I have the right to inspect;
  • to be transported by a driver who maintains a neat appearance and who treats me in a professional and courteous manner;
  • to be transported to my destination by means of the most direct and economical route possible, unless I agree or instruct the driver otherwise;
  • to pay for the transportation based exclusively on an operating taximeter and based strictly on the rates approved by the Broward County Board of County Commissioners, as posted in the vehicle;
  • to report any problems with the vehicle or the driver to the Broward County Consumer Affairs Division at
    (954)765-5350.

If you have a complaint or a problem with taxicab service, please contact the Taxicab and Limousine Regulatory Section of the Broward County Consumer Affairs Division at: 954-765-5350/Fax 954-5309

or E-mail: consumer@broward.org

Hey,

These are great... the problem is that consumers are still getting ripped off, like I was, because we don't know about them. My driver told me it would be $25 to go to the airport from the peir, when we got there the meter said $13 and he insited on our "deal."

What would make things better is if there was some "spot checking" going on, either by the board or by some local media outlets. Take a few guys undercover and see what a few of the the taxi drivers are doing. I am sure there are many good, honest ones... but running into one or two just leaves a bad taste...

So, to answer your question, the taxi regulation people need to go undercover and pose as consumers every once in a while. They might be surprised! (Hopefully mine was a rare occurance, but based on other postings, it looks like it might not be)... Brian

Archived