Any info on the cruise pier beach?

imatarb

Since we have really booked many excursions, I'm looking to just get off the ship and not have to travel too far for a nice area to hang out for the day.

Can anyone speak to the cruise pier shopping/beach/pool area that is apparently right when you get off the ship? Pics would be great, too!

Thanks,

Lisa :)

I can only offer my opinion about the cruiseline built port facilities at Costa Maya. I didn't care much for them. I wasn't particularly interested in another bunch of "Duty Free" stores and t-shirt shops. Shopping really isn't my thing. There isn't what I would call a "beach" there because to me a shoreline isn't a beach unless there is sand going out into the water. The shoreline at Costa Maya is all rock. This makes for better snorkeling, but you will want to wear some water shoes to walk over the rock to the water. There is a big saltwater pool there with a swim-up bar. Pretty much everything there cost more than it will in Mahahual.

The "beach" at Costa Maya:

03costamayabeach.jpg

A couple of photos of the pool:

06poolbar.jpg05pool.jpg

The rest of the photos are in This Gallery including larger versions of the above photos.

We spent the day in the little fishing village of Mahahual, about 2 miles south of Costa Maya. It was probably my families favorite day of the cruise. Taxi there was something like $5 a person r/t. Tables and chair are put out on the beach by restaurants and bars to attract customers. The beer was nice and cold for $2 a bottle and cans of soda were $1. We ordered food from the restaurant in one of the photos. The food was very good and quite reasonably priced. Massages were $20 for 30 minutes.

Majahual is about 3 miles down the beach and has a nice sandy shore with a place to play in the water that is much nicer. If you aren't into what is offered at the end of the pier, take a $3 taxi ride to Majahual. Great food there, too!

Archived