Pride Copenhagen-London Questions

jimlssi

Jim,

We really enjoyed the canal tour! We arrived early in the morning (0730) and were at the hotel and checked in by 0930. We were on a precruise package with HAL and were met as we got off the plane and bused to the hotel (Scandic). It was a Sat morning so we set off to walk the town. We headed to the Stroget area which is the main shopping area of Copenhagen. Since it was early it was pretty quiet and not at all crowded. We were very surprised though at how littered the streets were - almost seemed dirty. As it turns out, Copenhagen was the dirtiest city we visited out of 10 port stops.

Since we had flown all night we weren't really interested in shopping, but more at looking at the archectiture and the sites. After walking most of the way down the Stoget we found the canal tours and enjoyed an hour (or more - can't remember how long) tour all around Copenhagen, including going under several very low bridges, seeing the Little Mermaid from the water, and going through very picturesque areas. It was a beautiful sunny day which enhanced the tour greatly. (Take a sweater or jacket though as it does get breezy).

That evening we set out to Tivoli Gardens as I wanted to see them at dusk as the lights are coming on. It was nice but not a highlight of our trip.

We had an early night due to jet lag. The next morning HAL picked us all up at the hotel and we went on a bus tour of the city prior to boarding the Westerdam. Sunday was a rainy cloudy day and we were thankful we had had such great weather on Saturday when we were on our own.

We did not go into any buildings and right off hand I can't remember the names of the buildings we did see. I will try to go through some of my info and see if I can find more info for you.

HTH, sorry to ramble on,

Rebecca

Jim,

I remember on my first visit going to a wonderful castle out of town. It was a half day trip. Tivioli Gardens was o.k. but not high on the return list. There is a great site on the internet; visitdenmark.com that gives some ideas as to what to do. We are going to pick out a few places to visit. For sure we want to go on the canal ride and maybe visit a museum. Walking the Strojet (main shopping street) will probably take up a little time too, however I think we have finally 'crossed over' and found that shopping is not really important to us. I thought I would never be saying those words!

Do visit that site, if you have not already done so. We are so looking forward to this trip!

While the Stroget pedestrian mall can get crowded and littered, we have always found Copenhagen to be fairly clean, especially compared to Amsterdam, but maybe not as spotless as Oslo, or Bergen.

You should not miss Nyhavn, especially in the afternoon when the sun hits the facades of the old fish market houses, that are now overpriced restaurants and bars. Also sit in the park around the Rsoenborg Castle and watch the kids play around the fountain and the park. For great views check out the Round Tower off the Stroget area, and the more adventuresome "Our Savior's Church" on the other side of the harbor near Christiania. The spire is awesome, and you can climb the twisting staircase around the exterior of it! Over 300 ft in the sky.

By all means do the canal tour, which you can catch from Nyhavn. But bring a sweater, even in the summer and the sun, it can get cool.

As for Tivoli.........we love it, but only for a few hours in the evening. We get there when the sun is still up and get some cold Carlsbergs and just wonder around. It is not big. We have heard some great concerts there, and just love the simpleness. We also get a good meal there, but never ride any of the rides.

Enjoy

Archived