Cuban Cruise Review - May 1st, 2017 - The very FIRST Norwegian sailing!!!

CTCruiser001

The wife of the couple asked us what we paid and how we got to the hotel…Upon telling them we paid only 35 CUC$ per person, they were shocked and disappointed they had paid 99 USD$ each!!! Not too much later, their group was coming back through and they had to leave the bar area with them. We decided to head out a few minutes later as the doors were to open at 9 pm – We went outside the front and found the entrance to the show located on the side of the front drop off area…There was already a huge line from the tours…We counted 12 different groups of approx. 28-35 people each – All from Norwegian. Whew! The line took a long time to move due to the tours needing to be together to get their names checked off the list…Something that aggravated those of us in the line that weren’t part of the tour. I would say there were only about 20 or so of us not part of the tours. It was a mix of locals, us from the Sky (I believe we were the only ones doing this on our own from the ship), and other folks staying at the hotel or nearby.

We were sat in the near front on the left of the stage, with our backs to a wall. This was MUCH preferred as those on the tour were seemingly bunched together like cattle –I kid you not – sitting very closing together. Those who ordered dinner were sat in the front – I will post menus in a moment with food and drink offerings.

Everyone received one mojito at the show, included in the fare. There were options for more drinks, but I noticed that the attendants seemed to ignore those on the ships tour and only focused of the folks who ordered dinner and those like us, not on the tour. Throughout the show, I ordered several Cuban beers, and the DW drank a drink called Cocktail Parisien. It was a mixture of pineapple juice, Cuacuao Blue and Cuban Rum. Very tasty. I witnessed many people from the tours trying to flag the servers, but very few were successful. My three beers and the DW’s drinks came to be 17.50 CUC$. Not bad at all!

At midnight, the show was over and we noticed all of the tour groups getting up in a chaotic fashion as they left for their buses. The show performers had invited all to remain until 2 am for dancing and cocktails. It appeared that the tours were previously told ahead of time they would not be allowed to stay. We witnessed one couple asking their tour guide if they could stay and they would take a cab back, but she said no, they would need to be returned to the terminal with the rest of the group. Sad to know they paid so much more, were treated like cattle and received such poor service. I will say it again – If you are willing to do a little work for yourself, go to the hotel and pre-pay your evening’s cover charges. Then return at night and get great service and attention from the staff.

When we left the show, we were able to grab a yellow cab back to the ship at 10 CUC$. The driver was friendly and spoke a bit about what we were seeing as we passed bars and night clubs. In no time at all he dropped us off and we walked a bit down pass the cruise terminal to take nighttime photos of the Sky. What a beautiful feeling it was capturing these images of our ship being in Cuban waters.

It was 1 AM when we re-boarded the ship having gone through security and customs. No hassles whatsoever.

Excellent review! Thank you so much for taking your time to explain everything. This will be so helpful for everyone. Upon doing research for doing the show on our own, I noticed it said "formal dress code". My DH wasn't planning on packing pants and wanted to know if dress shorts were ok. Thank you again!

Did you enjoy the show itself? Would you choose it again or something else next time? We can't decide on that or going to some of the bars/restaurants.

We had a great time! It would be something for consideration when we visit Cuba again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Excellent review! Thank you so much for taking your time to explain everything. This will be so helpful for everyone. Upon doing research for doing the show on our own, I noticed it said "formal dress code". My DH wasn't planning on packing pants and wanted to know if dress shorts were ok. Thank you again!

Sorry. No shorts allowed. They have signs stating No Shorts and No Children. Here is a flyer...See the bottom.11f7c592c5fa03212df972a73cd32fe1.jpg

Thank you much for taking the time to write this review and answer questions. We are doing this cruise in December and always like to do our own excursions. We will be a group of 7, so my question is, did you see any vans doing tours or were they all either in the old cars or large tour buses?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you much for taking the time to write this review and answer questions. We are doing this cruise in December and always like to do our own excursions. We will be a group of 7, so my question is, did you see any vans doing tours or were they all either in the old cars or large tour buses?

We saw mid sized vans, Mercedes-Benz vans, if I recall. Not sure how one would go to get one of these, or the costs.

We saw mid sized vans, Mercedes-Benz vans, if I recall. Not sure how one would go to get one of these, or the costs.

Thank you for your quick response!! That is encouraging!!

Thank You CTCcruiser. A very complete review pictures, receipts and all. There have been cruises to Cuba but very little reviews like this.

I was surprised to see how expensive Cuba is compared to other Caribbean and Latin Ameican countries. $15 dollars for a 2 mile taxi ride, 47 some dollars for a lunch, more when you add the 10% punishment exchange penalty. I had read other reviews for land vac's and it was a lot cheaper several years ago. It has certainly gone up. Cuba has figured out that foreign tourists have lots of money and are willing to pay for the curiosity that is Cuba. If Caribbean and latin flavor is your thing, one can can do much better somewhere else with much less hassle.

Cheers.

Regarding the free alcohol drinks on board. This is the first cruise we are taking that includes the drink package. That being said, what brand of vodka do they provide for free? As for beer Corona, Coors, Amstel Light, Blue Moon included?

Great review!

Very interested to see what you guys did for Day 2 since the boat doesn't leave until 5 pm the next day.

It is so funny how the cruise is profiting so much from these excursions that you can easily do for yourself for much cheaper!

I notice that Cagney's Steakhouse is a la carte. Is the prices reasonable? Also if I wanted to go to the show at Hotel National after dinner what time would you recommend make dinner reservations?

Regarding the free alcohol drinks on board. This is the first cruise we are taking that includes the drink package. That being said, what brand of vodka do they provide for free? As for beer Corona, Coors, Amstel Light, Blue Moon included?

Mostly everything but the high end stuff was included.

What did your wife and others do to keep their hair in place in those convertibles?

We didn't use any convertibles. But most women I saw were riding around wearing hats.