Chocolate Milk? Sprite?

estherhead

I have a 3 year old who is obsessed with chocolate milk. Can she have this every night or should I bring a canister of Quick? It would make her day if there was a glass of chocolate milk waiting for her every night at our table. I'm thinking about buying 1 child pop card for my 5 year old. Would this get her juice too? How much is a kid card? I'm not sure which would be cheaper. At the very most I'll let her get 2 sodas a day, but one or two days her younger sister will want a soda. I figure we'll get 20 sodas total. Which is the better plan? Pop card or not? Thanks! We leave soon and I'm working out all the tiny details. Don't be surprised to see my trifling questions in the next 7 days! LOL!

Esther

Esther,

I'm a 41 year old "kid" who loves the chocolate milk on Carnival ships. As silly as it sounds, that's one thing that I really look forward to on the cruises. I rarely drink it at home but watch out when the ship sets sail. They have it out in the breakfast buffet areas until around 10:30 each morning so you can always get some to keep in your fridge as well. And, yes, you can get it in the dining room every afternoon and evening. I'm sure that if you ask someone in the lunch buffet area, they will be able to get you some at lunchtime too. They just don't keep it out.

It is my understanding that juice is always available as well but I can't speak to this from experience. I've just never asked.

I don't know the price on the kids' soda cards but from what I've seen, it seems like it is a very good deal for the children. And, it gives them a cute sense of ownership as well - to be able to show their own card and get a "free" drink. I've seen little eyes sparkle with pride when they were presenting their card.

Have fun!

We stockpile a few cartons in the fridge or cooler. Towards the end of the longer cruises the chocolate milk is gone.

Even though the card does give them the sense that they are in charge it's not worth the few sodas you are talking. You can buy soda by the can or the bottle (we prefer the bottle since you can reseal it for later). If driving in you may consider just throwing a few cans in the luggage. You can always refill in port or buy a few on the ship if you run out.

They USED TO give 12 yo and under free soda in the dining room (mine loved the Roy Rogers /Shirley Temple). I don't see it on their website any more. Maybe someone who has sailed recently can help you there.

Juices are free for everyone and are available in the mornings on the Lido deck and in the dining rooms. There is also lemonade and punch available - so I think the soda card would be a waste of money for such young children.

Yes in the mornings my DD's and I always took some extra "Choc" milks and stuck them in the fridge. Juices are free so no need for card for that. Sodas I think if I was you I would just bring a case or 12 pack on board with me and save an expense on the soda card, myself.

OK! I'll tell our waiter at dinner their order & keep some cartons stashed in our fridge. I was already bringing a 12 pack of Diet Vanilla Dr. Pepper for me (can't live without it) so I'll throw a 6 pack of bottles of Sprite in for the girls. Then I order juice for them and make it a spritzer! The 5 year old loves that anyway. I just bought them each a collapsable cooler so we could pack them a little lunch when we are off the ship (a piece of fruit & some ham & cheese) so now I can just throw in a bottle of Sprite & a carton of choco. milk!

And thanks for the heads up on hot chocolate too! Do they have marshmellows or should I bring a little baggie for my girls?

If you plan to have juice later in the day you will need to throw it in an insulated container - as mentioned above - they only have juice out until noon or so.

Fruit and veggies is a no no off the ship. I usually bring along some pre-packaged snacks that are safe to take off the ship. Personally I don't see any problems with a sandwich as long as it doesn't have veggies on it - I'm not looking for a debate - just my opinion.

Now THAT'S a no -no!!!!!.

As for the marshmallows, they may not survive the transported heat!

Duh, I know this. Just a little brain blip. Once coming out of Mexico we had our apples confiscated, lol! Dangerous, dangerous apples. (Please, just a joke, don't jump on me about bird flu, or mad cow disease.) As for veggies, you better believe there will be no veggies NEAR my girl's lunch packs! That's a no-no where they are concerned.

I had to chuckle how everyone remembered you can't take fruit off the ship. One of the people we were traveling with noticed the large pile of bananas near the gangway exit....she thought you were allowed to TAKE ONE from the pile!:rolleyes: Needless to say, Security set her straight on that one!

OK! I'll tell our waiter at dinner their order & keep some cartons stashed in our fridge. I was already bringing a 12 pack of Diet Vanilla Dr. Pepper for me (can't live without it) so I'll throw a 6 pack of bottles of Sprite in for the girls. Then I order juice for them and make it a spritzer! The 5 year old loves that anyway. I just bought them each a collapsable cooler so we could pack them a little lunch when we are off the ship (a piece of fruit & some ham & cheese) so now I can just throw in a bottle of Sprite & a carton of choco. milk!

And thanks for the heads up on hot chocolate too! Do they have marshmellows or should I bring a little baggie for my girls?

In my experience there's always been chocolate milk available all day-check out the grill area after the Lido buffet closes. It's on the sides of the grill on Fantasy class ships, don't know about the other ships though. It could have been that I just craved chocolate milk at the same time everyday, but I never noticed a lack of it. I love chocolate milk-it tastes slightly different than the stuff at home, but I'm satisfied. :D Just don't forget about it in the Caribbean sun-ewww...

I think others mentioned this-but there's lemonade and fruit punch available all day in the buffet restaurant as well. Someone on another thread mentioned that there's OJ available as well-the servers just remove the label that says 'Orange Juice' after breakfast is over. Try it and see and let me know!

............. Do they have marshmellows or should I bring a little baggie for my girls?
I brought a small bag of mini-marshmallows in a zip-lock bag last June/July and they came in quite handy for the hot chocolate :). They survived the trip without melting in the summer heat of Miami so you should be OK also.

John

Archived