Bringing non-alcoholic drinks and snacks

My daughter's favorite beverage is Diet Dr. Pepper....and for years I lugged on a 12 pack when we cruised. Strange thing--when I decided that if she wanted it, she could lug it...all of a sudden, Diet Coke was an acceptable substitute.

Yes, people bring beverages on board as they are quite pricey to purchase (a can of any non-alcoholic beverage is about $3 including the auto gratuity. I can get a 12 pack for that when they are on sale! Snacks? There is a ton of food on board. Unless you are bringing something for excursions or dealing with allergy issues, I can't see bringing food on board...but others do.

The bottom line is that there is no reason for you to care what other people do. The real question is whether it is worth it to you. If you are coming in a day early or driving to port, it isn't hard. Beverages do need to be in your carry on bags, but many carry ons are on wheels so it's not really hard. If you are flying in, they have to be in checked luggage on the plane and carry on to board the ship--that gets to be a pain. You can also bring stuff on from ports. If your cruise goes to Key West, there is a CVS a short walk from the terminal.

For adults and older kids, it probably isn't necessary to bring your own snacks. With little kids, I do not go anywhere without them.

We brought single serve crackers, nuts, raisins and applesauce pouches. My 4yr old and 2 yr old had plenty for the flight in their backpacks and we packed extra in our checked bags. They didn't take up much room.

My 2yr old was always the first one up in the morning, she could have a little something while waiting for the rest of us to get moving and go to breakfast. They usually had a little snack in the afternoon while waiting for my husband and me to get ready for dinner.

There is a lot of food on board but it was nice to have snacks in our room too.

Depending on your desires, you can always get a few snacks from the buffet and take them back to the room--yogurt single serve containers, wrapped up crackers, fruit, single serve cereals, various sorts of milk, etc. are available.

• 1 month later...

We brought some snacks (most never got ate). Wished we had brought our own water. A case was $45.00. The water is good on board and we did fill our large cups when up at Cabanas however, the bottles were all drank that we bought. There is just something about having water bottles in the fridge that is nice. Highly recommend bringing large drink containers and get some mugs from cabanas for your room if you order coffee from room service. Their cups are very tiny.