Majestic Princess cruising solo

World Nomad

I was booked on a cruise on the Majestic Princess to Singapore with my husband, who now unfortunately can't join me due to new work commitments. Has anyone done solo cruising before? Any tips? Reading guidelines has made me a bit wary about telling anyone I'm on my own. Has anyone done a month cruise on Princess with extended periods of sea days is there a lot to do and are the activities free? Has anyone been in any of the cabins under or near the sky bridge is it noisy or very public in those cabins / balconies if I'm allocated one of those should I try and change ( don't know where I'm being allocated yet! Thanks in advance for your help in trying to enjoy the cruise without my husband!

I do it all the time, and have sailed multiple weeks onboard up to a month. Honestly its safest way to travel solo. You're literally in a hotel on water. I'll actually be sailing a month onboard this summer in Alaska solo. Grant you I am very independent, and don;t mind, I've made some wonderful friends over the years. I think a lot of people are usually shocked and find me brave, being such a young girl who travels solo on ships. I personally LOVE IT!!!!! Best part is, you can do whatever you want, whenever yo please. There is no schedule or compromising with someone else on what to do. You'll be fine.

You'll find Princess fill your day when there are sea days with things to do. The vast majority are free (though you will pay for Bingo and the wine testing). As for under the sky bridge it wasn't noisy but if you are on the deck below the sky bridge I would say it could be less private as people can see you. We had deck or two below it and enjoyed the (thankfully) extended balcony. Have you joined the roll call for the cruise? There are a number of single people (mostly women) on it. The link is http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2384766&highlight=contact+for+tourist+visa&page=11 if you are sailing from Rome

I was booked on a cruise on the Majestic Princess to Singapore with my husband, who now unfortunately can't join me due to new work commitments. Has anyone done solo cruising before? Any tips? Reading guidelines has made me a bit wary about telling anyone I'm on my own. Has anyone done a month cruise on Princess with extended periods of sea days is there a lot to do and are the activities free? Has anyone been in any of the cabins under or near the sky bridge is it noisy or very public in those cabins / balconies if I'm allocated one of those should I try and change ( don't know where I'm being allocated yet! Thanks in advance for your help in trying to enjoy the cruise without my husband!

Have traveled solo and made new friends. Join in on activities ( trivia etc.) made lots of friends that way. I was invited to join new friends for dinner. Sometimes I did and sometimes I joined a shared table.

The sea days have lots of activities so you will not be bored.

Just completed a south east Asia cruise out of Singapore. This is a very clean and safe city. English is a required language in schools. Go a few days early to acclimate and enjoy the city.

We are on your cruise, and a week before and several weeks after you disembark (Barcelona to Shanghai). We would love to hang with you on the cruise and share a meal(s). We participate in all the trivia, game shows and contests which are the best part of a long, sea-day-intensive cruise and are happy to include you in the fun. The cruise director and his staff will also go out of their way to include you and make sure you have a great time!

We have met many solo cruisers over the years - some men, but mostly women, of all ages. They all were having a blast - not one told us it sucked to be cruising solo. Several of the women we met, in fact, found out at the last minute they were cruising solo (one paraplegic woman's husband hadn't renewed his passport, Princess rejected him and it was their 25th Anniversary cruise), but she chose to go alone rather than miss the cruise.

The key is to put yourself out there and ask to join others, couples or not, in activities, meals and even going to the theater. Introducing yourself and mentioning that you're cruising solo is a great icebreaker and conversation starter - people are fascinated by that. I found myself in awe of the solo cruisers and secretly a little jealous since they can do whatever they want whenever they want without having to consider someone else's wishes.

Be sure to sign up on your Roll Call - there is a great spreadsheet with everyone's names, length of cruise, cabin numbers and emails.

You'll have a great time, I know it!

Jana & Mike from Austin, TX

We were in D421 on the pre-inaugural cruise which is under the sky bridge.

The balcony was bigger than most others which was a bonus. When sitting out on the balcony I couldn't see the bridge at all unless I went right up to the edge, and so I did feel that there was privacy. There was no noise as such except the deck parties at sail away which could be heard from the balcony, but that happens on every ship.

The only thing I didn't like was that the walkway was lit up with blue lights at night and so the balcony was bathed in blue. I prefer no light as I enjoy sitting out in the dark watching the sea and listening to the waves. This was a minor thing though and just my personal taste.

We met a few people who were travelling solo and one lovely lady from the USA we met at the airport on arrival was cruising solo and had been doing for quite a while. We saw her every day around the ship and she said she really enjoyed it.

My brother has also gone on 4 cruises alone since his wife passed away last year (they loved cruising together) and he enjoyed time alone as well as meeting others at dinner and at other times around the ship. I'm sure you'll be fine on your own.

I must say that I absolutely loved the Majestic Princess and wish I was coming with you on your cruise. Have a great time. [emoji568]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have done several long cruises by myself and love it ! I like anytime dining and always ask to share a table at a meal in the dining room. On a long cruise with many sea days you get to know more people just by participating in activities. After a week you will start seeing familiar faces all over the ship.

I just booked a 31 day South America cruise for December and can't wait for it to get here !

Enjoy your cruise

I do it all the time, and have sailed multiple weeks onboard up to a month. Honestly its safest way to travel solo. You're literally in a hotel on water. I'll actually be sailing a month onboard this summer in Alaska solo. Grant you I am very independent, and don;t mind, I've made some wonderful friends over the years. I think a lot of people are usually shocked and find me brave, being such a young girl who travels solo on ships. I personally LOVE IT!!!!! Best part is, you can do whatever you want, whenever yo please. There is no schedule or compromising with someone else on what to do. You'll be fine.

Totally agree.

i sail solo all the time. i am also on this cruise but only to dubai. i have done month-long cruises on my own and made wonderful friends from my roll call. please join it, there are a few of us traveling on our own. you can do as much or as little as you like. you will meet people at dinner, on tours, at the activities. and you get the bed and bathroom all to yourself! have you cruised before? oh, and welcome to cruise critic!! there is lots of information here!