Photo packages on Star Princess to Alaska in August 2017 - some help please

losfp

Hi all

We're sailing Vancouver to Whittier in August 2017 on Star Princess. For places that offer photographers and photo packages I usually get the all inclusive packages and then make sure I get as many photos as possible (I think I raked in about 100 photos on our cruise to the Caribbean on Disney Fantasy). I've never sailed with Princess before so I have some questions:

1. I assume there will be photographers on embarkation and with formal setups at formal nights... Are there roving photographers and photo ops? On DCL there were lots of photographers because there were a lot of character meet & greets etc.

2. I've done a bit of searching and reading, and people are talking about a $99 package? The only thing I can see in my booking login is an all inclusive package for $199. Is there a way to see the package deals available?

3. Do people generally agree that getting a photo package (especially with photos in digital format as well) is a good idea, and decent value?

Many thanks in advance.

Have fun on your trip! We had a good time on the Star last month. We had the $99 package and were able to get quite a few pictures. The package was only available for a short time, and the photographer on the Star said they would not be continuing it. They do have formal set ups around the ship, more on formal night, but no roving photographers. They do take embarkation and port pictures, and have several opportunities at activities. Enjoy!!

Oh that's a shame if that special pricing isn't available. Thanks for the info. I don't mind paying for packages as long as there's opportunities to get lots of photos - otherwise our holiday shots always have someone missing as someone needs to take the photo! We can hand off the camera of course, but you will almost always get better results from someone who knows the gear and has things set up just right.

We had the photo package last year on the Grand, 10 day round trip San Francisco to Alaska, and came back with hundreds of images and print photos. This was before the special offer, and the price then was $200 and worth every penny. While we were at the Margerie Glacier, photographers were every where and we had many wonderful pictures taken with the glacier in the background. I don't remember other times the photographers were wandering about, but I'm sure they were.

We also had the package on a 15 day Panama Canal cruise (paid $200, the $99 offer started the next week), and photographers were about taking candid shots on embarkation day, during the canal passage, and during special events. On this ship (Island), they also did sunset shots on deck each night. We ended up with over 300 images!!!

An advantage of having the package is not only do you get lots of photos, but the photographers get to know you, so when they see you during an event, they capture great candid shots. The photographers also took lots of fun photos when they had the photo stations set up. We have three more cruises planned, and for $99 decided to buy the package. We certainly don't "need" photos of us, but I mainly use the digital files for photo books and keep the print photos in a binder.

Thanks for the feedback!! Good to hear that there were a lot of photographers. As I said, I'm happy to pay for the package if there's lots of photo ops. I'll keep my eye out for specials, but if there's lots of photos, I'm happy to pay the $200.