Comfortable place to wait at Mendenhall?

mamasylvia

My DD has decided to come with DH and me to Mendenhall, which changes our arrangements somewhat. I use a mobility scooter while DH is fairly able-bodied. DD and DH frequently go hiking at a nearby state wilderness park. I figure they will want to do a harder hike than I can manage on my scooter and I want them to - there are scooter-suitable trails (according to the NPS PDF) and I can get myself around and take a million photos without them.

My concern is I think they will refuse to leave me alone while they hike, even though I'm quite independent and the scooter takes care of the only thing I can't do on my own (walk any distance). So I need some information to have a plan in place to reassure them.

- How well patrolled are the trails, particularly Photo Point and Steep Creek? We will be there May 23 so the summer rush won't have started yet. I don't expect any problems but want to be able to reassure them that if something happened, someone would find me quickly. From coverage maps, it looks like I *may* have cell service but they won't. (different carriers, don't ask lol)

- What seating for overweight people is available? Regular auditorium-type seating won't cut it. I'm hoping for benches with backs both inside (if the weather is chilly) and outside (if it's gorgeous). I love my scooter for the independence it gives me but it is not what I would call comfortable for long periods of time.

- I would hope any federal park would have bathrooms but figured I'd better ask, especially with Alaska's long cold winters. We will have a rental car but I can't lift the scooter into it by myself.

Any thoughts on how to let them go hike with an easy mind would be appreciated!

Photo point is paved and would be perfect for your scooter. It's close to the visitor center.

The visitor center has public washrooms. An elevator is there to get you up and down. Note the washrooms and elevator is busy.

I think the visitor center is a good meeting point. On a dry sunny day, the nearby bus stop would be a second choice for a meeting place.

Thanks, that is a good suggestion. The PDF I have from 2015 says the visitor center is open 8am-730pm May-Sept, and I just downloaded "hours of operation" from their website and it still says 8-730, 7 days/wk, so I'm guessing it will be open that late. But I made a note of it in my "Juneau" file so I remember when we are there.

lots of benches around. We are very large people with limited mobility who found lots of places to rest.

Within the. Visitor center there is and auditorium with chairs not theater seating. Also space is open in museum area and would be fine with your scooter. Bathrooms also accesible.

Paths near visitor center and to/from parking area are paved and easy to maneuver.. Handicap parking is available. Take your placard if you have one.