Maasdam SoCar Help?

Doug0

We (middle aged couple) just booked on the Maasdam 1/07 sailing from Norfolk. It's about a four-hour drive from our house (Maryland), so we could do it on embarkation day and park for $110. Can anyone suggest a park-and-cruise that's not much more than that? I expect to work a regular day 1/06 and wouldn't arrive in Norfolk until about 9-10pm, so we don't care about a reception or anything; just accommodations, parking and a round-trip shuttle to the Nauticus.

Our goal, btw, is to treat this as a simple low-cost winter getaway. Kind of like those four-day junkets to the Bahamas.

We just booked through Cruises-N-More. Is there anything we can or should do to book our excursions before we get documents by mail?

Can anyone help with shore excursion suggestions, based on the following:

Half Moon Cay (7 hrs)-- I get the impression from reviews that the only worthwhile options are Swimming with Stingrays or staying on board.

Charlotte Amalie (8)-- We're going to Coki Beach Dive Shop for snorkeling.

Dominica (10)-- Apparently Beno is the message board's Grand Champion.

Barbados (10)-- We've already been to the Submarine, Signal Hill and Harrison's Cave. Can you suggest an independent tour of 3-4 hours?

St. Kitts (6) -- I suppose we have to ride the railroad despite the price ($109).

San Juan (6) -- We'll just bring a walking tour book of the old city.

Please, any concrete suggestions for Dominica or Barbados greatly appreciated.

Hello,

I can help with you a few of your questions. As for a hotel, the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside is literally 3 blocks from the cruise port. On Sheraton.com, they have a pre-paid rate of $99, but I did not check any AAA or AARP or gov't./military discounts if something like that may apply to you. They have a self-parking facility, and you may want to call to see if you'd be allowed to park during the cruise. With it being the closest hotel to the port, I'm betting they would let you.

As for Half Moon Cay, it's soooooo gorgeous. It's definitely a beach day, as it's Holland America's private island. If there is one available, try to snag one of the private cabanas for your use. There's a wealth of info on them on these boards, but the breakdown is that it's $219 for the day and a wonderful experience. I've actually heard the stingray excursion offered there pales in comparison to ones in other ports, so you might keep that in mind. Most people don't book excursions here...just go ashore and relax. There's always snorkel or jetski or parasailing, etc. if you decide you'd like to participate once onshore.

As for booking your excursions prior to boarding, you just go to HAL's website (http://www.hollandamerica.com). Under "For Booked Guests", there should be something about booking shore excursions. You'll type in your booking #, last name, and cabin #, then it will let you select from what is available for all your ports. You must do this prior to 10 days before your cruise, which is when online bookings close. Otherwise, you'll be left with whatever is still available once you are onboard ship.

Have a wonderful trip. It sounds like a great itinerary, and I wish I could go!

Oh, P.S.--in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, since you have so much time, you might want to do something else besides just snorkeling? Sunny Liston is very highly recommended on these boards for a tour, and he can drop you at Coki Beach after the island tour portion, and return you to your cruise ship when you're ready. It's $20/pp and WELL worth it from what I understand. We have him booked for our stop there in the spring. His website is http://www.sunnylistontours.com. Just email him and let him know what you're looking for. He has kind of a standard tour set up, but will definitely alter it to meet your needs if possible. We are having an extended afternoon there at Sapphire Beach because we have an evening sunset sail booked from there later, and Sunny was very happy to accomodate us.

Thanks for the Sunny Liston tip, I submitted through their site.

Yes, the Sheraton is listed on the CruiseNorfolk site as offering a Park-and-Cruise, but without any detailed info about rates or shuttles (or do you just drag your luggage the 3 blocks?), so I'll have to call them.

Now, about .5 Moon Cay. The reviews I read strongly implied the following: other than the stingray swim, the tours are over-priced. Just getting off the ship and sitting on the beach would be OK, except you have to wait for a tender ticket. By the time the excursion people have all left, there isn't much time for people who just want to beach bum to get off and then back on again. Hence, might as well stay ship-board.

Tenders really aren't a problem, we had breakfast around 8:30. My husband went down to get tender tickets while I went to our room to get our beach stuff ready. When he came back we went for a cup of coffee, and our number was soon called. We were on the beach before 10:00. We stayed there till about 2:00. It's no big deal, we had lunch, a couple of drinks and a wonderfully relaxing day!!!

We are going on the So. Car. in March. I called the Sheraton in Norfolk and they told me that we would have to park in the city garage at $9.00 per night. We booked at the Raddison and parking is included, along with a cruise welcome reception and breakfast in the morning. The cost was $179.00 and includes all shuttles to and from the ship and outside free parking (this was a factor because DH drives an excursion and it might not fit in an indoor garage). Last year we parked in the ship lot and it was $10.00 cash, paid in advance. For $69.00 more than that we will stay at the Raddison and not have to worry about weather on the way down from Maryland. Have a great time. We loved this cruise so much last year that we are repeating it again this year.

I cruised out of norfolk about a month ago and stayed at the Best Western. They charge $99 and I got a room on the Chesapeake Bay that had a kitchen and a balcony (since you'll get there at 10 Pm that may not be appealing). They had a wonderful continental breakfast with homemade biscuts and hot oatmeal. They take you to the ship and pick you up after the cruise. The parking for all 10 days was included in that. If you figure parking in a garage is $10 a day, I either parked for free or stayed for free, however you want to look at it, it was a good deal. The only downside is that it is a 25 minute shuttle ride to the dock, so the Radisson is closer but the Best Western is cheaper. Only you know which is more important

If you like snorkeling and catamarns book the Silvermoon II. It is wonderful.

You snorkel with the turtles, then a second stop for snorkeling. Lunch and drinks are included. They will pick you up at the pier and also return you to the ship.

http://oceanadventures.bb/sailing.htm

Don't miss out on Half Moon Cay, on our recent trip there there was no line for tender tickets so we were able to hop right on the tender around 8:45am. I had booked a foot and ankle massage on the beach, it was awesome. The snorkeling there was really pretty good especially if you bring your own equipment and it is so nice to be able to go right off the beach. The beach is also really beautiful. One of my all time favorite cruise days!!

Another hotel option is the Lake Wright Quality Suites and Sleep Inn. Here is their website: http://www.lakewright.com/res.php The Quality Suites is about $109 a night and the Sleep Inn is about $72 a night. They will provide free parking and a free shuttle to the dock. It is not too far from the airport so is probably at least 20 minutes from the dock.

I am booked on the 2/9 cruise just like yours. I have not stayed at any of the hotels but stopped by on business trips to Hampton to see the Lake Wright and the Holiday Sands mentioned above. Although the Holiday Sands is on the water, the Sleep Inn is newer and more cost effective for us (we needed 3 rooms for 6 family members). It also has nicer public areas (the Quality Suites and Sleep Inn share their public areas and pool). So I decided to go with the Sleep Inn. Your cruise is before mine so I can't give you a report!

Please post a trip report on your return - I hae not decided on excursions for Dominica or St. Kitts. We are going on the Silver Moon catamaran in Barbados and sailing with Interline on St. Thomas.

A couple of posters on this thread and the Barbados board have recommended Sivler Moon I or II for snorkeling.

Their site says they're a charter. Do you have to put together a whole group, or do they take individuals to put a party together?

Hi pcs15, we are also on the 2/9 sailing (first trip on HAL). This is my "hell week" it DW birthday, our anniversary and valintines day, you could say I get everything done in one week but it tends to be very busy.

We are flying in from Calif. and our TA booked us at the Holiday Inn by the Airport, have never been there and know nothing about it.

Hope everyone is enjoying Thanks Giving.

Holiday Inn by the Airport??? - OK. She does know that this is not close to the pier and not a tourist area - right? If she could get you into a hotel downtown, that would be nice; if you are going to be spending any time there. If not, no worries.

Enjoy your trip! :)

This would be a problem in Chicago; Norfolk is simply not that large. Airport to pier is 30 minutes tops. If shoppping is a concern, Downtown Norfolk, near the pier, has a great mall (MacArthur, as in General). Have a great cruise and enjoy our holiday lights!

MarkB

(packing for Maasdam 11/26)

A couple of posters on this thread and the Barbados board have recommended Sivler Moon I or II for snorkeling.

Their site says they're a charter. Do you have to put together a whole group, or do they take individuals to put a party together?

No, you do not have to put together a group. When I booked this excursion it was for Mr. Gizmo and myself. We were on the catamaran with people who were staying at hotels in Barbados. They were not all together as a group.

My DH and I just came back from the same trip on Nov 16.

Half Moon Cay we booked a Cabana and also a jet ski excursion. Our trip was cut short but it was still one of the most fun times we had. The Cabana was nice but not worth the money because we were there for so little time. The jet skis were a ball. We loved them. The beach is beautiful and the water crystal clear, I wish I was swimming there right now.

Barbados we booked the Silvermoon and it was wonderful. We had only 10 guests on the boat with a Capt. and a mate. They treated us like gold and the lunch was great and the strawberry marguaritas were to die for. We snorkeled with the turtles and then over a wrecked barge and it was like swimming in an aquarium. We highly recommend them.

Dominica we used the taxi's that were setting up tours right at the dock. It was $30 per person and we went to the Emerald Pool and Trafalger Falls. It was quite a ride between the two and we got stuck in major traffic. If I were to do that again I would go to one or the other and spend the rest of the time relaxing on the ship.

I hope I helped and have a great cruise.

Jenny,

I believe we get in at 10:30 PM the night before so we do not plan on doing any thing but get some rest in the hotel then take our time getting to the pier in the morning.

Buffy,

Did you book the silvermoon throught HAL or directly? My DW loves snokeling and she realy likes it when we see turtles and such.

St. Thomas: If you love snorkeling, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you try to book with Captain Nautica. They do excursions for Princess, but I don't know if they do HAL too. We have gone with Captn Nautica 4 times & each was our best snorkels (until we went to Kona, Hawaii!). They take you to St. James island (betw. St. T & St. John) and then they take you to Honeymoon Bay on St. John -- they know weather & sea conditions & where the best views are!!! If HAL hasn't contracted with Captn Nautica, try emailing them & see if they'll take you with another group that day!!! Otherwise take an openair cab to Red Hook Ferry and take ferry to St. John; then at Cruz Bay take a cab to Trunk Bay to snorkel. We stayed on St. Thomas for a week last Jan. and we were very disappointed with Coki Beach -- very small, crowded!! We also went to Sapphire Beach & saw alot of snorkelers there too.

The Barbados catamaran/sail/snorkel suggestion sounds great!!! We have been there 2x and snorkeled over the sunken ship!!

Half Moon Cay: DEFINITELY GO TO THE BEACH -- DO NOT STAY ON SHIP! The sand is so fine & hard packed with virtually NO coral or shells -- definitely a better beach than Princess has!!! We had booked a clamshell which includes 2 chaises at $9 for both of you. However there were some wind both times we were there & we really didn't need the clamshell that much. It is hard sometimes to find chaises, when you go later in the morning. But if you give one of the guys $5, they'll probably find you 1 or 2. WE had no problems getting the tender ticket & no waiting -- they have a very very efficient tender system there, and Westerdam was there with another "dam" ship both times we were there!! (Recently on B2B on W for our 13th & 14th cruises but 1st & 2nd on HAL.)

I just checked out the silvermoon web site, it looks like a good way to spend the day.

Also, am looking at the Captain Nautica for St Thomas.

Sure am glad we found this Web Site before we left on our cruise as we are finding more and more information and ideas of things to do.

Tenders really aren't a problem, we had breakfast around 8:30. My husband went down to get tender tickets while I went to our room to get our beach stuff ready. When he came back we went for a cup of coffee, and our number was soon called. We were on the beach before 10:00. We stayed there till about 2:00. It's no big deal, we had lunch, a couple of drinks and a wonderfully relaxing day!!!

I've never had a problem getting on a tender to Half Moon Cay. While I did a tour both times that I was there ... parasailing ... I always book a later time for that excursion so wouldn't get the priority tender tickets.

Those tenders hold a lot of people and there are not that many excursions that must get to the island as soon as the boat anchors. Lots of folks consider HMC a beach day and don't even bother with excursions. So, you'd surely be on the second or third tender off the ship even without an excursion booked. Remember, HAL owns that island. Every dime you spend there ... drinks, hair braiding, souveners, excursions, etc. ... goes at least in part into HAL's pocket. Thus, it is in their best interests to get EVERYONE over to the island in a prompt manner. More money for them. :)

Blue skies and enjoy HMC ... God, I love that place ...

--rita

We are staying at the Best Western Holiday Sands Inn on Ocean View Ave. (800-525-5156) The price comes to $111.87 with all the taxes. There is a con. breakfast and it is a "park-n-cruise" rate. They will take you and pick you up from the pier. And if the Maasdam happens to be late coming in, you can stay at the motel until she is ready for boarding. They keep you informed.

We are staying there again on 12/6/05.

Archived