Luggage at Malta Airport

ScotchBoy

Hi, we're off to Malta next week to meet Oceana. I am led to believe that the flight is not exclusively P&O passengers so I would think that luggage is not bonded as it is in the Caribbean. Do we have to collect our luggage from the carousel and then go through passport control with it? I'm presuming that we then meet a P&O agent who will direct us to our transfer? Thanks

Hi, we're off to Malta next week to meet Oceana. I am led to believe that the flight is not exclusively P&O passengers so I would think that luggage is not bonded as it is in the Caribbean. Do we have to collect our luggage from the carousel and then go through passport control with it? I'm presuming that we then meet a P&O agent who will direct us to our transfer? Thanks

We only did the return flight (sailed out of Southampton) and we were checking this out with the flight coordinator on board prior to our return. Our flight was bonded for the return flight so we didn't see our cases after putting them out at night until we got back to Gatwick. But when we asked if our luggage was bonded he said 'it all depends on which flight you are on'. Some were bonded and some not. In the details we received on board regarding arrangements for return flights there was clearly a mix of some flights where you had no need to claim luggage dockside prior to transfer but some did. If you know for sure it's not a P&O charter flight unfortunately I imagine yours will not be bonded.

When I did this cruise a few weeks ago flying from Gatwick we had to collect the baggage on the way out and take it to the coach. It was then taken from the coach to the cabin for us. On the return the bags were left outside the cabin on the last night and then appeared at Gatwick.

Collecting the bags at Malta took some time (30 minutes or so to appear on the belt) and some people were clearly unhappy about it.

Even getting out of the airport to the coaches was not easy, as it seems the airport is struggling to cope with the number of people on cruise changeover days.

Last Thursday when we arrived at Malta, at around the same time as 2 other flights, (just after 6pm) it took us about an hour just to get through passport control before we even got to the coach. There must have been abround 1000 passengers millimg around in arrivals, but there were only 3 passport booths open. Absolutely appalling.

Brian

Edited by dorsetlad
Missed word

Last Thursday when we arrived at Malta, at around the same time as 2 other flights, (just after 6pm) it took us about an hour just to get through passport control before we even got to the coach. There must have been abround 1000 passengers millimg around in arrivals, but there were only 3 passport booths open. Absolutely appalling.

Brian

Oh dear - we are joining Oceana on 29 June, hope the problems have been sorted by then. Not visited Malta for 13 years and had hoped the airport had improved since then, but obviously not ☹️

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We had similar problems leaving Malta about a month ago - 90 minutes to get through passport control and flights at least an hour late departing. Reports on here indicated an improvement in following weeks but it does seem that the airport is still struggling to cope with the number of passengers passing through. Hope they get their act together.

Hope they get their act together.

Can't see how they can, as it appears the airport is simply not large enough for the number of people, and the problem is exacerbated by the decision to have all the flights arrive and depart at roughly the same time.

When I did this cruise a few weeks ago flying from Gatwick we had to collect the baggage on the way out and take it to the coach. It was then taken from the coach to the cabin for us. On the return the bags were left outside the cabin on the last night and then appeared at Gatwick.

Collecting the bags at Malta took some time (30 minutes or so to appear on the belt) and some people were clearly unhappy about it.

Even getting out of the airport to the coaches was not easy, as it seems the airport is struggling to cope with the number of people on cruise changeover days.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Unfortunately Malta airport seems to be having a few teething problems at the moment. All adds to the fun :rolleyes:

Just back from a 1 week cruise from Malta. We flew Thomas Cook Charter flight from Manchester and on arrival had to collect luggage from carousel and wheel them to the coach. We did not see them again until they arrived outside our cabin. The Thomson Charter flight from Manchester arriving within half an hour or so did not need to collect their luggage. On return we did not see our luggage once it was outside the cabin until we arrived in Manchester. We had delays in arriving in Malta and on our return of about an hour. The airport was not quite as bad as I had expected reading the forums but not perfect either.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

An update: we flew Thomas Cook from Gatwick. We collected luggage from the carousel and handed it to the coach drivers at Malta Airport. Very slick operation, I thought. It arrived promptly at our cabin and we managed to unpack before muster. On our return, the luggage was bonded, so we didn't see it until Gatwick.

Incidentally, getting through security at Malta was scarily swift. We debarked coach transfer, and were through security and ordering a beverage in less than 15 minutes! Excellent.