Ketichan car rental

kabbpres

On our last Alaska cruise, the three of us rode the city bus out to Totem Bight State Park. The bus fare is $2 RT. Admission to the park is $5.

I have not considered renting a car there because of the cheap and easy bus service.

Here are links to the bus info and the State Park

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/145/Transit

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totembgh.htm

I generally rent a car from Alaskan Car Rental. They are a pleasant, flat, ~ one mile walk from the pier, although they will come pick you up and drop you off. I usually have them pick me up but I walk back along the water. The cost is around $60-65, and I've done it when I've been in port for the morning or all day. I prefer to tour on my own - that way I can do what I want and stay as short or long as I want. There's plenty of information available on the internet and from guide books, so no, I do not feel like I've missed out on anything, except for perhaps some personal stories a tour guide might share. I'm willing to give that up for the independence of being on my own, although that's a personal decision. I do recommend leaving some time to walk around Creek Street, though. When I am in port for only the morning, I don't like spending time waiting for the bus to Totem Bight. Then a bit further on the road from totem Bight is Settler's cove at the end of the road. There are delightful trails through the rain forest and down to the fjord. On the way back if there's time, you can stop by Ward Lake. If you like hiking, download the Ketchikan Area Trails Guide (if you google the title, the pdf is the first hit). There are lots of trails in and around Ketchikan.