Southwest schedule extension

elah

Evidently, this is a frequent question. According to (http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3943308&postcount=20), The schedule is usually extended on a Thursday morning, around 10 AM Central Time. One tipoff is when the current sale is "through the end of the schedule" rather than having a specific ending date.

Others have shown that the schedule horizon typically doesn't fall below about 112 days, but can go up to 135 days. Thus, given that the current schedule is through March 31, one could take a WAG and say anytime in the next 0-3 weeks.

I'm waiting too... I have a conference in St Louis in April, and flying from Dallas, we have to deal with the Wright Amendment if we want to fly from Love Field versus DFW. www.setlovefree.com Therefore, at current time, my only real option is AA out of DFW (the only nonstop provider DFW-STL which is a pretty steep fare considering the distance). Otherwise I currently must purchase two separate tickets on Southwest (such as DAL-LIT and LIT-STL).

Fortunately, this week Congress approved adding Missouri to the list of states exempted by the Wright Amendment (which affects DAL Love Field) and it is awaiting the President's signature. Once he signs, Southwest (or any other carrier flying out of Love Field with more than 56 seats) will be able to offer DAL-STL and DAL-MCI (Kansas City) either as direct or nonstop flights no matter the size of aircraft. Trust me, after just making the roadtrip Dallas to Kansas City (and back) this week, I'm definitely looking forward to another carrier such as Southwest being able to provide reasonable airfare from DAL to these two markets. According to http://www.farereport.com Dallas to Kansas City averages $0.40 per mile for tickets, which is much higher than other markets which have more than one nonstop carrier (such as DAL-Albuquerque at $0.21 per mile).

So not only am I waiting for the April schedule to open on Southwest, I'm waiting on President Bush to sign the new Missouri exemption. Maybe Southwest is holding off a little to see when/if the Missouri exemption will be signed off so they can introduce DAL-MCI and DAL-STL. I'm sure Southwest will begin providing DAL-STL and DAL-MCI as a ticketing option fairly immediately after that in the existing schedule since you can already piece together segments (such as DAL-LIT-STL or DAL-OKC-MCI) - and most likely a nonstop option within the new extended schedule. :) Lots of Dallas-area folks will be thrilled to have the competition and lower fares.:D

Fortunately, this week Congress approved adding Missouri to the list of states exempted by the Wright Amendment (which affects DAL Love Field) and it is awaiting the President's signature. Once he signs, Southwest (or any other carrier flying out of Love Field with more than 56 seats) will be able to offer DAL-STL and DAL-MCI (Kansas City) either as direct or nonstop flights no matter the size of aircraft. Trust me, after just making the roadtrip Dallas to Kansas City (and back) this week, I'm definitely looking forward to another carrier such as Southwest being able to provide reasonable airfare from DAL to these two markets.

Lots of Dallas-area folks will be thrilled to have the competition and lower fares.:D

UPDATE - WooHoo - President Bush signed this week and Southwest begins nonstop service DAL-St Louis and DAL-Kansas City on December 13. Still waiting for end of April schedule though - but will definitely wait!!!:D http://www.setlovefree.com/

Archived