When do you need a passport,

CruiseZapper

According to what I've read on Carnival's site, they are going to start requiring a passport on 12/31/05. I don't know about specific ages; this is just a general statement. Go to their site and look at FAQs. If I remember correctly, that's where I saw it.

According to what I've read on Carnival's site, they are going to start requiring a passport on 12/31/05. I don't know about specific ages; this is just a general statement. Go to their site and look at FAQs. If I remember correctly, that's where I saw it.

That changed several months ago... it is now 12/31/06

What are the new passport requirements?

On 9/2/05, the U.S. State Department revised the original proposed "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative." The proposed rules will require ALL U.S. and Canadian Citizens to carry a passport (unexpired) for travel to or from certain countries/areas that were previously exempt. This includes children and infants.

The proposed implementation is as follows:

* December 31, 2006 - Passport required for all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda. Note: This will affect guests traveling on cruises that return to the U.S. after 12/30/06.

* December 31, 2007 - Passport required for all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel. Note: This will affect guests traveling on cruises that return to the U.S. after 12/30/07.

Once the proposed rules are finalized - either in their current form or a modified form - the cruise industry will communicate that information to our travel agent partners and guests. In the meantime, individuals with future travel plans that would be affected by the proposed new rules are strongly encouraged to obtain a passport now.

You may print a passport application or get additional information from the government on this subject by visiting: http://travel.state.gov/passport

She's right. I went and looked. It clearly says 12/31/06. I probably read it wrong the first time. Sorry.

You probably read it right... it was just changed in September. They can't seem to make up their minds :p

It's always a good idea to have a passport. Chances are, as the time draws near, prices will go up again... you can't go wrong having one!!

Be sure to check with your cruise line first; even though the dates were changed by the US Government; not all cruise lines are changing... some will still require passports starting January 1.

If any are so foolhardy as to do so, they do it at their financial peril. Imagine what would happen if cruisers found that they could cruise a particular itinerary on one line and not be required to have a passport but on another line, on the exact same itinerary on the same dates, a passport was not required. You can expect that those lines whose websites or customer service lines who have not changed their rules to reflect the government's latest timetable, will do so before the end of the year.

I double checked some websites and many are now saying 2006... but when on hold with some lines they still say 2005 (maybe old messages). Regarless, probably best to double check with your cruise line first. Your should get one now though; they are definitely easier to travel with and you will soon need one and the prices will probably go up again! I got mine in 2000 and glad I did; they are good for ten years and once you have one you will wonder why you waited so long!

Archived