Where does your 'tip' go?

kdinkus1

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I'm curious about what happens after your room steward, bus boy, waiter, etc.. has your week's tip? Do they get to keep it all or must it be shared with other workers? I'm confused after reading one of the other threads. If what they said is true and the staff must share their earnings, does that mean I should give extra (above and beyond what I usually give) ? Or should I give a gift with the money to those who gave more of themselves to help me out?

I'm sure this is an easy ? but want to make sure I show my appreciation when I leave the ship! Cruising the 3rd of December... Thanks!

If you do not remove the 'auto-tips' from you account, whatever extra you give to a staff member is kept by them alone....if you do remove your auto-tip, they must share it or risk losing their jobs.

The 'auto-tip' is shared by service staff according to a pre-set formula (i forget who gets what %)

I left extra for the cabin attendant as I thought he did an outstanding job and quite frankly, is a hard job cleaning cabins all day - yes I leave tips for hotel maids. We had Personal Choice dining and since the ship is "cashless" I never carried cash with me and therefore never left extra for the waiters and by the end of the cruise couldn't remember who served us as we had someone differant each night.

I did notice that the bar waiters semed to "upsell" example, if you ordered a beer, told you that 6 beers is cheaper because if you buy 5 beers the sixth is free, etc, felt this was so they would get the tip for 5 beers instead of 1? Do the bar waiters get the automatically added tips?

I left extra for the cabin attendant as I thought he did an outstanding job and quite frankly, is a hard job cleaning cabins all day - yes I leave tips for hotel maids. We had Personal Choice dining and since the ship is "cashless" I never carried cash with me and therefore never left extra for the waiters and by the end of the cruise couldn't remember who served us as we had someone differant each night.

I did notice that the bar waiters semed to "upsell" example, if you ordered a beer, told you that 6 beers is cheaper because if you buy 5 beers the sixth is free, etc, felt this was so they would get the tip for 5 beers instead of 1? Do the bar waiters get the automatically added tips?

Cash is definitely accepted for added tips. The ship is not "cashless" for tips. The Personal Choice waiters are included in the auto tips and 15% grat. is automatically added to bar tab.

Cash is definitely accepted for added tips. The ship is not "cashless" for tips. The Personal Choice waiters are included in the auto tips and 15% grat. is automatically added to bar tab.

I think if you didn't have extra cash with you, you could go to the front desk at the end of the cruise, and ask an additional amount be charged to your account specifically for your waiter or cabin steward. If you didn't remove the auto-tip amount, then that extra should go right to whoever you direct.

Blue skies ...

--rita

anything added at the pursers desk will go into "the pool"...they will tell you that it goes to whom you say, but it doesn't.

it seems these days even the extra money given in cash is "supposed" to go into the pool too, you know the way the mafia works on board.

I am on a ship now and verified this with my servers and bar staff.

bartenders tips get pooled but bar stewards keep what they make.

Archived