Stingray City or Stingray Sand Bar - Which is better?

thunder_lin

Looking at doing one of the Stingray tours in Cayman. Which is better?

Do you see more than just stingray's on either tour?

I like to do the tour that offers the most to see (other fish and such)

Our whole family can snorkel so that's not an issue.

Stingray city is in deep water, so you swim (12 ft or so). Stingray sandbar is in shallow water and you stand (4 feet or so). Many of the sandbar tours also include snorkling stops with lots of fish. There are not many fish at all on the actual sandbar (although there are LOTS of rays).

I took my family on our 1st cruise last March and used Nativeway for our stingray excursion. We were extremely pleased to say the least. Email them for specific questions you may have in deciding what tour you want.

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/stingray.html

I did not book thru the cruiseline and saved at least 50% in $. We stopped to snorkel before we hit the stingray sandbar (water up to our waist) and had an awesome time!

Looking at doing one of the Stingray tours in Cayman. Which is better?

Do you see more than just stingray's on either tour?

I like to do the tour that offers the most to see (other fish and such)

Our whole family can snorkel so that's not an issue.

Just got back from the Norwegian Dawn Western Caribbean run. We opted for a private stingray swim arrangement at the sandbar. Our tourguides were on the far side of the island from where we tendered in (NOT at Georgetown--there were 6 major liners there on the same day, and the Lemming Effect was in high gear on the landing beach.) The guides put too many passengers on their boat and we waited an hour for the extra passengers to show up, which cut into our already limited time on the island. Playing with the rays was fun, but don't stick your hand/arm under the center of the ray--it'll think you've got a squid to feed it. You support the "wings" and keep the gill "nostrils" under water while you cradle the ray's face against your chest; the rays look up at you with a surprising intelligence. The mouth is on the underside of the ray; one of our tour got a major hickey on her arm by not following directions. The rays are the softest things you'll ever feel brushing up against you, and they are very gentle.

Bottom line: go for the sandbar but get a decent tour.

CapnCarp

Norwegian Dawn 11/20/05

The Carnival excursion guide showed a Stingray City and a Stingray sandbar tour. The descriptions were virtually identical. When I inquired at the excursion desk, they said they really were identical except for the boats used so we booked the cheaper Stingray City tour. That trip sent us to see the rays in very shallow 3-4 ft deep water just off the sandbar. Thus I'm still confused about those talking about a deep water excursion to see the rays.

Just about all the stingray excursions that use the word "snorkel" in their description go the the sandbar. The deeper Stingray City is where you would go if you were going to scuba dive and see the rays. The term "Stingray City" is used interchangeably, even though there are 2 different places.

I think that the shallow tour at the sandbar you get to actually handle the rays.
yes, you can if you wish.
In the deeper water you swim with them?
Probably, but most "snorkel" trips go to the sandbar and drive trips go yo the deeper site.

Archived