Dominica Tram ride

frac

Would appreciate any information from those of you that have taken the tram ride. Did you see lots of birds and/or wildlife. We are considering taking the tour offered by Princess later in December.

• 2 weeks later...
Would appreciate any information from those of you that have taken the tram ride. Did you see lots of birds and/or wildlife. We are considering taking the tour offered by Princess later in December.

Hello, Last January we rode on it and it was more than I expected, a botanical wonder. My wife & I were carried up on a open gondola, with an employee guide. She directed us to each specie of plants that passed us. The tram is build with preservation in mind. The walk across the suspended bridge was awesome, the tropical rain forest updrafts from the valley wind was purifying.

Wild life was sparse, we didn't see anything, not even spiders! It was so different. Heard a bird that sounded like a creaking door opening, that's it. Didn't see any birds there, only at the Syndicate Forest.

We just did the tram tour last Tuesday - Dec 12. It is an awesome tour. The tram tour guides are extremely knowledgeable about the flora and fauna. They are highly trained as botanists and gave the latin, English and local names for the trees, plants and other items we encountered. We did not see many birds - probably 1 or 2. The guide gave the names of the birds we heard whistling. It is a comfortably slow and safe ride. We did not need reservations. As a matter of fact we had to wait for a couple more people to arrive because they told us that the tram needs at least 5 persons to balance the weight. At the top of the ride, we took the option to walk across the suspension bridge. It was very sturdy and not scary even for someone like me who is not a fan of heights. The cost was $55 per person and you can get a taxi to take you there. We did a tour with Fredos Tours, which included the tram, Emerald Pool, Trafalgar Falls, Sulphur Springs, city of Roseau, botanical gardens, and couple other spots. Fredos was quite thorough and entertaining in his explanations, and his knowledge of the country along with the various points of interest we visited and passed along the way provided a rather complete overview of this lush island in one day.

Archived