Norwegian Breakaway/ Solo Cabin

Sorry it took so long to post but life got in the way. I sailed on 5/14 to Bermuda

My background. This was my 5th cruise of Norwegian Cruise lines. I cruise a lot and like to try different cruise lines. Variety is the spice of life. This was my 1st time traveling as a solo passenger on Norwegian. I've cruised solo on Holland America and Princess previously.

My overall experience was very good on Norwegian and I wouldn't hesitate to sail them again.

I love that the fish on the hall carpets are always swimming in the direction of the bow.

First for the good. The "studio" cabins are small- 99 sq.ft, but I really liked the cabin. It was brightly lit, the bed was very comfortable- I'd drift off in minutes. The towels were nice and plush. The storage was sufficient for one person. The nice feature of the studios- is the convenient studio lounge, a comfortable place to hang out and meet other solo passengers. There is complimentary coffee, espresso and capucinno coffee, fresh fruit, cookies and cake. There is wine available for a charge using your room key. There is a dedicated Studio cruise director who meets with the solo passengers each night at 5PM in the lounge. From there he takes whoever wants to dine together to one of the various restaurants on the ship. I dined with a group of eight passengers two times during the cruise. But if you are a solo passenger you never have to have dinner alone and this is a great way to meet people. I liked the concept.

I decided to eat my meals in Savor, one of the main dining rooms for breakfast and dinner each day. I skipped lunch. The buffet was plentiful, but I only ate there on the day of embarkation. This cruise I decided to be waited on and avoid scrambling for a table and get my own refills (and fearing they'd take my plate away). I thought the food was very good, the surroundings in Savor were very nice and the hostess would always act excited to see me with "Hello Miss Rebecca" when she saw me. It felt like home. I enjoyed everything I tried on the menu. I always had the French Onion Soup and a mixed green salad with honey mustard dressing. The portions were small enough that I could eat an entree and still have room for dessert, which all of those were great.

Entertainment was very good. I didn't go to the production shows because that's just not my bag. So can't comment. My watering hole was Fat Cats, the New Orleans Style Jazz Club. I really liked that, although some of the songs were repetitive. A minor complaint.

Trivia was fun and was held at least twice a day. Other games were offered as well, which were well attended and fun. Fellow passengers were very friendly.

My favorite place to hang out by day was on Deck 8, outside on the deck. There is plenty of comfortable seating and it's quiet and shady.

Bermuda is gorgeous and I explored the island and we had incredible weather.

Cons:

The ship was very crowded. There were many small children (which weren't a problem), so there were four to a room and I felt extremely claustrophobic on the day of embarkation- everyone trying to get on the elevators and find their rooms. Very chaotic. My room was impossible to find. If you book a studio room- you enter through a hall door which says "Studio Lounge". No one was around to direct me, so I walked up and down the hall looking for it. I had a guarantee cabin and it was assigned at check-in. Speaking of check-in. I got there at my assigned 1:30 time slot and was not on the ship until 3:15. Long lines. I have to say that on the first day I was thinking maybe I'd made a huge mistake, but it all worked out fine in the end.

I found the cabin stewardess to be just ok. She and the other stewards were really noisy in the hallway, banging things around at 10PM, when I'd often turn in. I'd have to get clean wash clothes off the cart- they never seemed to replenish them. I think they need a bit better training.

The hallways always seemed to be blocked with the stewards carts and the hallways felt very narrow, making it hard for two people to pass each other.

The pool area wasn't very attractive and I didn't spend any time there. I thought the pool was uninviting and there were tons of kids in the "adults only" hot tub. That was a major turn off for me. So I spent zero time there.

I really don't have any other complaints!

I was in room 11535.

One suggestion I would make- is bring your laptop and download movies to bring with you. The television in the room was very limited as far as free things to watch. Movies were $9.95. So next time I cruise, I plan to bring my own movies to watch at night in my room.

Regarding the Escape Pools..I was on the Escape this past September....and there are signs near main pool and jacuzzi stating it is Adults Only Pools...and they did have employess both on the Family Side Pool, and Adult Pools watching...no children were allowed in the main pool until after 5Pm...as far as the Jacuzzi goes near main pool, children are not allowed in at all...they have there own jacuzzi near the family pool...