Windstar adventure: we've been too spoiled by O!

chelseabelsea

Recently completed the Windstar Monaco Grand Prix cruise aboard the Star Breeze. In very short summary, the GP events were fabulous, the Windstar onboard special event also fabulous, but all other aspects of the cruise were not as wonderful as Oceania. Bedding uncomfortable, food mediocre, ship not well maintained, IMO. The service crew- bars, room stewards, restaurants were all charming, however they were offset by the ship condition and onboard operations such as tendering and ship maintenance. The modification investments made by WS - from what we could see- all went into the cabins and public interior areas, not on maintaining the ship itself. Repeaters on this cruise all told us they think that WS should have stayed with their sailing ships, and to the person said they intend to go back to the sailing ships for their next cruise. We found that interesting. We did have magical moments, we enjoyed the entire WS Grand Prix package of events, and the outdoor Star Bar is magnificent at night. Interesting experience, glad we tried it, and very happy that my next four cruises are on O!

Oh, of course! The special events onboard was a lovely open air BBQ, complete with a whole roasted pig (not that I enjoy looking at my food's face, but he was a delicious little guy!)

The spread was bountiful, with King Crab legs and gulf shrimp on ice, truffled cheeses, charcuterie, grilled steaks and chicken breasts- quite lovely. The tables were set up on the top deck, covered with white tablecloths, napkins, it all looked beautiful.

Several crew members performed line dancing for the guests, some of them also broke out into their own steps which was very entertaining.

Live music, good martinis...it was exceptionally well executed under a flawless clear late evening sky, mild temperature, a light breeze, and calm seas!

After experiencing the Star Bar on WS and the BBQ, I would lovingly and gently suggest that my beloved O establish certain nights where they have after-dinner evening seating- tables and chairs- on the upper deck overlooking the pool, with live entertainment and service from the pool bar. Only on good weather nights, of course!

After experiencing the Star Bar on WS and the BBQ, I would lovingly and gently suggest that my beloved O establish certain nights where they have after-dinner evening seating- tables and chairs- on the upper deck overlooking the pool, with live entertainment and service from the pool bar. Only on good weather nights, of course!

+1

After they virtually closed the bar areas in both Polo and Toscana (or whatever they are calling the new incarnations, these days) I'd hoped that the alcoves to either side of the library might be utilized for the type of purpose which you describe.

Oceania_Insignia_outside%20(11).jpg

Nobody jogs after dark....:D

I typically go on O for Christmas. This year they had a 15 day on Wind Star in the Caribbean. I regretted almost every minute of that cruise. On the O ships at Christmas the decorations are so lovely and they are always replenishing dishes of Christmas cookies that are located by the decorations. My first shock is when I walked by their ginger bread house and there were no Christmas cookies. The food was institutional, the bed uncomfortable, no afternoon tea, and no free internet to take care of last minute excursion details. I will never go on another Wind Star cruise again. I have out grown them. The beach BBQ was nice but the food at the BBQ was just grilled hamburgers and other picnic food. I get better food at the terrace cafe and on O we love to sit on the back of the ship and have dinner every night. On Windstar they did the deck cook out which was nice but it was only one night a week. There dinning room food was not very good and they were exceptionally unflexible. I asked for a dish of pasta one night and was refused because it was not on the menu and the chef said they could not accommodate me. I told him any pasta would do--- I just didn't feel like what was on the menu. There were other times when I asked for vegetables or a salad that wasn't on the menu and was refused although they had it for lunch that day. Anyway our cabin steward was excellent and I love the laundry package concept where you pay a flat rate to have your clothes cleaned the length of the cruise. But that is not enough to make up for the deficits. Wind Star is not a 5 star line. It is a 4 star line and as long as you go in it with that expectation you will not be disappointed. But it doesn't compare to O.