Curious - Change to Progresso for 12/18 Rhapsody

wrp96

Not complaining, but wondering if anybody would know why the 12/18 sailing of Rhapsody has changed from stopping at Costa Maya to stopping at Progresso. They've also switched our day to stop at Cozumel, and I'm afraid I might lose my excursion that I had already booked.

Nobody in my family wants to stop at Progresso so we're looking at it as an additional sea day:D , but I'm sort of disappointed about the switch since I had planned to snorkel in Costa Maya and that doesn't seem to be an option in Progresso.

Anybody got any clue why the switch?

I posted another thread asking about what to do in Progreso. Apparently there are ruins tours from Progreso usually. Chichen Itza might even be offered but it is apparently an all day excursion. Here's the link to the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=260140.

My family and I have just decided to make it another "sea" day. We're going to stay on the ship and take advantage of the port day specials at the spa.

Our July Rhapsody cruise was diverted to Progresso in place of Grand Cayman. Bummer since we were so looking forward to snorkeling with the sting rays. DH and DD stayed on board but I braved it and signed up for a Meridia/Progresso bus tour. It actually was really nice. Progresso's pier is built 2 miles out since the waters are quite shallow. There are just a few touristy shops near the ship. We were the only ship in port and I really enjoyed the tour. We learned about the history of that part of the Yucatan and were able to meander in and out of the areas where tourists hardly tread. It was good to actually see how people live there, without the touristy areas. Since this wasn't a usual RCI port the excursions were few. We had 3 shopping stops during the tour which I could have done w/o since they all had the same merchandise. Hammocks, tablecloths, silver jewelry, etc., etc. If you wear the sticker the tour guide gives out, the shopkeepers know how much to kick back to the tour operator. This post probably will be zapped. LOL

Wrona you will love the Rhapsody, port days or sea days, it's the best!

Our July Rhapsody cruise was diverted to Progresso in place of Grand Cayman. Bummer since we were so looking forward to snorkeling with the sting rays. DH and DD stayed on board but I braved it and signed up for a Meridia/Progresso bus tour. It actually was really nice. Progresso's pier is built 2 miles out since the waters are quite shallow. There are just a few touristy shops near the ship. We were the only ship in port and I really enjoyed the tour. We learned about the history of that part of the Yucatan and were able to meander in and out of the areas where tourists hardly tread. It was good to actually see how people live there, without the touristy areas. Since this wasn't a usual RCI port the excursions were few. We had 3 shopping stops during the tour which I could have done w/o since they all had the same merchandise. Hammocks, tablecloths, silver jewelry, etc., etc. If you wear the sticker the tour guide gives out, the shopkeepers know how much to kick back to the tour operator. This post probably will be zapped. LOL

Wrona you will love the Rhapsody, port days or sea days, it's the best!

I know I will - really looking forward to it especially since it means I will be finished with law school:D .

Probably a dumb question, but where do you look to see if your ship has a changed intnerary?

Go to your reservation on RCI's website. They will have an option to view your itinerary. This change just happened to us two days ago.

I went to the RCCL website to check out excursions out of Progreso and they are not posting any at this time. How long did it take you, BonNYTX, to get to the ruins? (I assume it was a RCCL tour and not an independent..)

I'm going to call Monday and see when they will have the excursions up. I want to know if they will just transfer our already booked Cozumel excursion to the new day, or if we will lose it. Plus I need to make sure my money for my Costa Maya excursion gets credited back to me.

My entire family is supposed to do the Mexican Cooking Class in Cozumel. Apparently this is a very popular excursion and books up fast. I'm worried that since it is a shared excursion among ships and cruiselines that there won't be any slots left on the new day for all three of us.

I went to the RCCL website to check out excursions out of Progreso and they are not posting any at this time. How long did it take you, BonNYTX, to get to the ruins? (I assume it was a RCCL tour and not an independent..)

I didn't take the ruins tour but the "city tour" in Progresso/Meridia and yes it was an RCCL excursion. I didn't talk to anyone who took the ruins tour. Sorry I can't be of more help. I hope they post the excursions for you online before your cruise becase there were lines around the deck waiting to book the excursions on board our cruise. Took forever and since Progresso was a last minute port and not one RCCL usually goes to, the guest relations staff could not answer any questions. Good luck. I'm sure it will be wonderful whatever you decide to do.

Just a thought. Why not go on the Carnival website to check out their Progresso excursions to get an idea of what is available so you will hve an idea of what you want to do when the RCCL excursions are posted.

Wrona, again, GOOD LUCK to you on your upcoming graduation from law school!!

I'll also have to give them a call on Monday. My DH was due to go fishing with cruiseline's excursion in Cozumel. Hopefully they will automatically change the dates.

I spoke with the shore excursions desk at RCI today. If you had already booked an excursion through RCI for Costa Maya, it will automatically be cancelled and the money sent to your credit card. If you had booked an excursion through RCI for Cozumel, it should automatically transfer to the new day - but check at the shore excursions desk as soon as you get on board. They do not yet have excursions listed for Progreso and may not until we get on board.

Archived