Which port for whale watching?

ldlewis45

We'll be on the August 27th RT Alaska cruise on the HAL Oosterdam, visiting Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, and Victoria. Which port would be best for whale watching? I've found some excursions in each port that sound interesting, but I'd like to get the best bang for our buck, and maybe do something different in the other ports.

I went whale watching with Allen Marine Tours in Juneau. We saw a lot of humpbacks. I think we cruised out of Auke Bay. Great trip. We had a great barbecue lunch at Orca Lodge out on some small island. The boats talk to each other and try to head to a location where whales have been spotted. We got some great pictures.

Of these, Juneau is best (as in you'll definitely have plenty of trips to pick from both through the ship and independent, and there's 100% chance you'll see at least humpbacks - although 'back and blow' is enough to avoid paying out on their guarantees so treat anything fancier as a bonus). Victoria is the cheapest (weak CAD plus a base fare of about $120 instead of $160 makes for a hefty discount), and by far the most likely port to see Orcas - pretty much guaranteed to be a more exciting sighting if you do see them but no better than ~95% sightings at any time of year. Book independently and you will get a lifetime guarantee that allows you to keep going with the same company until you do see a whale, but if you never come back that's not worth much.

If your timing in Victoria allows and you don't already have other plans and you can afford it I'd happily do a whalewatch in both Juneau and Victoria!

Ketchikan and Sitka don't really do whalewatches - only wildlife boat tours with no guarantees of whale sightings. From Sitka the big deal is otters - late Sep you're not likely to see puffins as they're long done with nesting and they're damn hard to spot when they aren't coming & going to their nests.