Take kids to port or leave in Adventure club?

RN7997

April 2, 2006 I will be saing on AOS Aruba route with my husband and 2 sons, 6 and 8 years old. We will be onboard with several others, about 22, but we are travel with one other couple, which have no kids.

I have started to research some of the ports we will be visiting and I am curious, how many of you have left your kids on the ship and visited ports alone. I think some of the ports I'd like to take the kids with but some, like Aruba, Im not sure about. They are alittle young to appreciate sightseeing. We are in our late 20's and want to have fun yet enjoy our kids. Sound horrible??? Every day in my regular life I l;ive for my kids and I am wanting a vaction to part from them at times as well as do some family things together.

I was looking at St martin and it seems that orient beach is popular. I can handle the optional clothing thing, though I think id stayed clothed, but I refuse to subject my little ones to that.

Does this sound horrible. Curacao seems like a stop that would be fine for the kids, but boring at the same time. The other thing is that the club onboard sounds like soooo much more fun for them.

Any suggestions?

Chrissy

I'm sorry I don't have the answer, but I do know there is another thread (somewhere!) here that discusses this subject. From what I remember from reading it, some people definitely leave their children at AO while they're in port. Others wouldn't ever do it. I understand from some of the posts that the kids preferred to stay at AO rather than join their parents in port--even when the parents planned on taking them!

My question was about whether babysitting was available while in port for a 2 year old. Still not clear on that.

I, personally, don't blame you at all for wanting to spend some time in some port(s) without your kids, especially if they wouldn't enjoy it. We're talking about a couple of hours! As others cautioned, just make doubly sure you're back onboard before the ship leaves!!

My opinion, take them ashore in every port. Curacao has a neat sea aquiramun for the kids and a nice beach, St. Martin has great beaches and shopping also, let them experience the local flavor of the islands. My 10 yr old has cruised since he was 4 and has enjoyed every island. Do early dinner seating, then let them go to the adventure ocean program and maybe stay for the late night, then you can have time to enjoy the adult things....

I'd take them. St. Martin is a BEATIFUL island and Marago, the French city feels like being on the French Riviera. I also would not worry about Orient Beach. I've been to St. Martin several times and to the CO beaches. It may help your kids to see that it really is no big deal. Any time I've been there there were few people topless or less.

I don't know about those specific ports, as we were on the alternate AOS route. We traveled with our DD, 4. Most days we took her along and she enjoyed the aquariums, restaurants, etc. with us. But we booked one daylong excursion late in the cruise for just my husband and me, a catamaran cruise in St. Lucia. We figured this would give her plenty of time to get used to AO and time for us to get comfortable with leaving her. We could always cancel if we didn't feel it was appropriate to leave her. By that day, she was very comfortable with AO, had made friends there and felt OK with us leaving her. We left our cell phone number with the staff (beepers don't work off ship). Everyone had a good day. Hope this helps!

Sharon

Putting on my flame retardant suit........

Nothing like traveling thousands of miles from home and leaving your children on a ship with complete strangers while you go onshore. What if something happens to your child (sickness, injury) while you're on an excursion? What if you miss the ship? Having children means you have to make sacrfices, you can't always do what you want. Wait a few years, when the kids are older and they can enjoy the excursions as well.

And here goes.....you chose this as a family vacation, so vacation as a family.

Follow your gut instinct. If your nervous, find comfort in knowing the kids will be together and you'll know, from sea days, whether or not it's right for your kids!

I have kids 6 and 8, too. I was ... fighting a bit of separation anxiety. (I know, I know, how sad.) But we found it a confidence builder for all of us! They have more fun staying on the ship and so do we! They have even asked to miss ports!

Stay strong and don't let others make you feel guilty!! :)

Good Luck! Jandie

We just returned yesterday from the Voyager repo that stopped in Aruba. I took my son (10 years old) on a morning excursion. We went back to the ship at 1:00 pm and he did not want to go back out on the island. He wanted to go to Adventure Camp. We took him to camp and we went to the beach for a few hours. We checked back with him when we go back and he was happy as can be. There were plenty of other kids signed up as well. The camp is very well organized and we felt very secure leaving him there. We thought is was a win win situation for all.

For the love of God, Clarkk! I can't believe you actually have a computer/know how to use it/know how to type/follow any message boards!

The times they are a changing and kids today need more independence! Yes, even at 6 and 8 years old! AND it's possible to take an excursion, return to the ship, get the kids and let them enjoy a port too!

The times they are a changing and kids today need more independence! Yes, even at 6 and 8 years old!

6 year old needs independence? Why not just leave him at home to fend for himself? How much more independance do they need when they are dumped them in daycare everyday for 8-10 hours?(sarcasm for those that can't see it)

As usual, I'm stating my opinion, you don't have to agree. But feel free to berate and belittle me all you want. I don't care what people do with their kid's on a cruise. I'm just stating a DIFFERENT view that some might not have thought of. We each have to live with our own decisions. I'm happy with the decisions I've made. Are you?

And believe it or not, Crackerjack, I have a computer, and a job, and a home that's actually paid for. I have raised two very independant children (18 and 20), Even though when we vacationed, we actually spent the vacation with the kids, and it didn't hurt their independance. We actually enjoy doing things together. So get off my back.

Actually it is daycare, but way more fun. If it wasn't meant to leave kids in then why would it be open on port days. I am not trying to dump my kids. I just know them very well and kids like to play. My husband is an over the road self employed truck driver and I am a registered nurse who sacraficed my new career to be a stay at home mom due to the fact my 6 year old has a severe neurological disorder called apraxia which effects his speech. He understands everything, but can't talk yet. I take him 4 days a week to therapy. So I by no means am the type of mom to dump my kids. I am planning this to be a family vacation/adult getaway all in one. Isn't that the best part of cruising?? There is soooo much for everyone.

I am looking out for their best interest. I know we want to navigate these islands but I think the kids will want to play and do fun kids things on the ship. I agree I wouldn't do it for every port but it seems to me some of the ports are more kid friendly then others.

My daughter loved BOTH parts of the experience... going to the various ports, and staying in AO playing with other children. She doesn't want or need to be with adults (even us!) all day long. She enjoys meeting new people and learning from them. We had a great vacation, spent one day out of 7 apart, and everyone was happy. It worked for us. Others might choose differently. But the OP asked for our personal experiences, so that's what I've offered.

RN...This is our first cruise with our kids, but not our first vacation. Ours are a bit older now, but we've chosen where and when to drag them along with us...and I say drag because sometimes THEY are the ones who want to stay behind with the group for the kids. Sometime, we just have to force them to have fun with us! :D

It is THEIR vacation too and if spending time with the children's group centers is what they want, I see nothing wrong with it. There is also nothing wrong with you and your husband having your own time.

If it's wrong to leave your children with the AO while in port then why would it be ok to leave them there at ANY time on the ship?

Personally, and I'm sure you will do this anyway, I would have to see what the AO is like, what the staff is like on that particular cruise, so that I feel comfortable leaving them knowing they are in good hands.

I'm not sure, but I would "guess" that cell phones will work when you are in port, so if you have one, they should be able to reach you in an emergency.

I have gone with my kids alot on cruises, and although I love the Adventure Ocean group I have a problem with the idea of leaving my childeren on a ship while I am on the port. I have taken my kids since the age of 2...I have a 7 and 3 year old and always took them with. We usually went to the beach or another activity like the aquarium. I even took them to Orient beach and only once in a while would see a topless person. I did I think once saw some one nude, but the kids never even noticed it. If you go there just stay away from the nudist colony since they usually don't really go that far away from it. Aruba we went to a beach, I think by Sandals, the only negative is that we don't go snorkeling, but we will just wait till later. I would just hate to be that far away from my kids with no way to get me, but that is my opinion.

While I do agree with others that we are on vacation with our families, I love the time the spend in Adventure ocean while we are on the ship for adult time.

Have fun.

Mary

From one stay at home mom to another, go have fun. There is absolutely nothing wrong with leaving the kids. AO looks like lots of fun.

My kids just hate to be dragged around to places they don't want to be, but they do want to be on the ship in the club.

I see nothing wrong with it.

To Mr: Griswald, I bet you weren't the one that stayed at home with the kids when you worked. Or did you take them with you to work also?

To Mr: Griswald, I bet you weren't the one that stayed at home with the kids when you worked. Or did you take them with you to work also?

Sorry, you lose the bet. I'm actually a woman. ( I picked my screen name because I love the vacation movies) And I WAS a stay at home mom. I'm not knocking Adventure Ocean, I think it's great for the kids. However, as I stated before, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving MY children there while I was off the ship on an excursion. Too many things can happen. But you feel free to take those chances.

The beauty of a cruise vacation as I see it is time with the kids and time without...hence adventure ocean. Frist see how well the kids like adventure ocean, which will make your decision easier to make. No harm in leaving them to go explore Orient Beach. You are not going to be gone all day! As far as what we do, we take the kids since they love doing the beaches..but we have never done anything else. Excursions are way to pricey for a family of 5. But it is fine. If we really wanted to do an excursion so badly then i would not hesitate leaving them in Adventure Ocean. I would pick carefully and not do a long long all day excursion. Whatever the decision is be happy with it and let it be. All people involved will be fine.

On our recent cruise we did both -- some days left them onboard, some days took them with us. When we took them out on the island with us shopping they were pretty hot and miserable.

Have a great cruise, whatever you decide to do. Our kids LOVED Adventure Ocean club.

Archived