Norwegian Sun Glacier Bay from Vancouver

CatsinShow

Cats, I like to get there early, not so much for fear of delays as simply to get on board and start having fun! Even before we can get into our rooms, there is the ship to explore, starting with a tasty lunch. ;)

Rulersmom, there are all kinds of activities offered. We saied on the Pearl 2 weeks ago and there were games (I remember seeing Deal or No Deal and the Not-So-Newlywed Game), karaoke, several eras of Name That Tune, bridge, several days of art auction, dance lessons, dances, lectures on different Alaska topics, and I don't remember what all else. And there is always something open to eat at! lol

East Coast is 3 hours ahead of vancouver... i believe it was then 4 hours ahead once we got to Seward.

ditto the Sun Crew being awesome. It was probably the most visible crew we've ever seen. In Glacier Bay, many came out for photos. they'd take guest photos, we'd take theirs in return for them. it was really nice seeing them able to enjoy some of the cruise themselves as they work so hard.

from what i recall in Vancouver, there were only maybe 10 customs terminals where you had to self scan your passport. this can move very slowly if you have a large crowd. We lucked out as Sun was the only ship in Vancouver that day as the Disney Cruise ship had already finished its Alaska run for the summer.

I got off the Sun May 29th after a 2 week trip to Alaska. It was a one time itinerary San Francisco to Vancouver. I loved the Sun, it is a great ship. Excellent service from everyone except maybe the internet manager. We went to Astoria OR Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Sitka, Glacier Bay, Icy Straight Point, Prince Rupert and Nanaimo BC. None were tender ports. We could get wifi when in ports except for the 2 BC ports but we found a cafe in Prince Rupert. We also used iConcierge app on the ship because there were 6 of us.

Some ports we could get signal for a long while after leaving port and others we lost it right away. Trying to use internet while while at sea in Alaska was very slow and ate up so much of our minutes. We did save some so we could do check in with airlines etc and we could not print boarding passes because the day before disembarkation the internet manager wasn't there , very limiter hours, we needed to use the printer. When she showed from 5-6 there was a line of people waiting to use printer and the net was down. A mess. We decided to just do it in the morning and the whole system was shut down on disembarkation day. Lost 60 minutes of internet service.

The rooms on the Sun are very large and spacious, we had inside, ocean view and balcony and we couldn't believe how big they were. But the bathrooms are a bit smaller so that is why.

Anyway, we had excisions through the ship in all ports except Astoria where we rented a van and drove along the coast and Nanaimo where we took the shuttle and walked around the ocean front there.

All the same things are offered on the ship but it is a quieter ship. Nature viewing etc was the thing on this cruise. We had 6.5 hours of darkness but I loved it, didn't bother me and we slept with the curtains open all night.

Wonderful cruise and great ship, you should have a great time. It was a bucket list trip but now I want to go again!

Tracy

Just back from the June 5th sailing on the Sun from Vancouver. Had one full day in Vancouver the day before cruise. Went on HOHO bus. Nice tour, good chance to pick and choose where you want to stop. Went to port around 11 am. No trouble checking in at that time. There were two ships in port, so you had to follow directions once you went through securtiy. No problem, reps were posted to help you maneuver.

No tender ports. In Juneau, booked our own whale watching excursion through Harv and Marvs. Captain Brent was phenomenal. Fronteir Excursions is who we used in Skagway. Brooke was our very knowledgeable tour guide up into the Yukon much farther than the White Pass RR takes you into the territory.

Crew was helpful and kind. We had great weather the whole trip. Not cold except in Glacier Bay. A bit foggy because we were at Hubbard Glacier early in the morning on that day.

Have a wonderful time.

Ok I did a Google search and searched on here. I'm not really finding anything recent (by recent I mean within the last 2 summers). Does anyone have the dailies from taking this cruise? Also I spoke to someone on the Norwegian chat feature. She had told me that none of the ports are tendered however, I found something online that says Juneau is tendered as is Ketchikan. Is she right? I later called up Norwegian direct and spoke to someone about booking a guaranteed room. I asked about upgrading like I asked earlier. He flat out told me that with the interior guaranteed rooms that based on the inventory that the odds are I wouldn't get a surprise upgrade. I then asked him about the ocean view guarantee. He told me that I have a good chance of not getting the little porthole thing. He added that I should book today because the deals will probably be gone tomorrow.... I'm on here because I'm assuming the guy is just trying to get me to book right away.

So in short....

1. Does anyone have a link to recent dailies from this ship and route?

2. Are any of these ports tendered?

3. Have any of you booked a guaranteed oceanview room on this ship and route and did you get a better room?

4. The ship departs Vancouver at 4PM. If I were to get on the ship say at 11, am I allowed to leave the ship or is it once you are on, you are on?

5. I saw the wifi plans.Can you get cheaper rates if you book it in person or do the rates stay the same (or even go up in person?).

6. How is the wifi once you get off the boat?

Sorry to be annoying. I just found this trip last minute and it's actually at a rate I could afford as a party of 1. My grandfather died less than a week ago and we had his burial today. We weren't that close but from it I started to realize to just live life because you want to make a lot of great memories since you never know when you will go (I know this is probably the obvious). I got laid off too so something like this would be a positive in my life.

So in short....

1. Does anyone have a link to recent dailies from this ship and route? No Link we just went on the 5th-12th

2. Are any of these ports tendered? No but in Skagway if they dock at ORE dock do not walk back take smart shuttle $2

3. Have any of you booked a guaranteed oceanview room on this ship and route and did you get a better room? We paid for balcony there were few if any upgrades on our ship I asked around

4. The ship departs Vancouver at 4PM. If I were to get on the ship say at 11, am I allowed to leave the ship or is it once you are on, you are on? No you do not want to leave, boarding started at about 11:30-12 and restaurants are open and gives you time to get acquainted with ship

5. I saw the wifi plans.Can you get cheaper rates if you book it in person or do the rates stay the same (or even go up in person?). Pass on wifi, it does not work well and you will have wifi in each port city and we survived without, expensive and slow

6. How is the wifi once you get off the boat? excellent

WE just went JUne5-12