baltic july 14

parkersmom

We traveled by train( bought a 24 hour ticket at the airport) to central Copenhagen the day we arrived. Took about 20-30 minutes. Since we arrived the day before departure we booked a hotel right next to the train station and walked right across the street with luggage and checked in. On departure day we used the rail pass to visit the Kronenburg castle and back to Copenhagen. Collected our luggage from the hotel and the hotel hailed a cab for us and off we went to the pier. It was late afternoon and lots of traffic. The cab ride took about 20 mintes as well, but we were dropped off right at the pier. I know you can use the transportation system to get from the airport to the docks, but you can expect to walk with luggage from the station over to the pier. I'm so glad we arrived the day before and were well rested when we arrived at the ship. We also had time for a day trip the day of sailing since we didn't leave port until 9pm. I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Be sure to check out the Baltic section on the boards. It was very helpful to me when I was planning our trip last summer.

I can't answer the question about the airport, as our cruise (1999) started in England, but I can answer the hat one:

The best place to buy fur hats (or anything else) is from the street vendors in St. Petersburg. Don't listen to all that stuff about being sure to fold your money a certain way or that they will not take anything but new money, etc. Trust me, they will take anything that even looks like money. :)(I would take a lot of 1's, however). I paid around $15 US for a nice fur hat for my dad, but the best buys are the tole painted pins. They run around $2-3 apiece from the street stalls, and make a terrific gift for those back home. You will also do much better on the stacking dolls there than on the boat. The quality might not be quite as good, although I couldn't see much difference, but, heck, are you buying it as a souvenier or an artistic investment? I bought one on the ship for my mom and paid $65 on sale. I bought several just as nice in the street market all for around $20 each.

The other tip is to avoid buying the sweaters in Norway, Sweden and Finland and wait until you get to Tallin, assuming you are going there. You will find the same sweater you saw in Oslo for $300+ for less than $100 in Tallin.

I can't answer the question about the airport, as our cruise (1999) started in England, but I can answer the hat one:

The best place to buy fur hats (or anything else) is from the street vendors in St. Petersburg. Don't listen to all that stuff about being sure to fold your money a certain way or that they will not take anything but new money, etc. Trust me, they will take anything that even looks like money. :)(I would take a lot of 1's, however). I paid around $15 US for a nice fur hat for my dad, but the best buys are the tole painted pins. They run around $2-3 apiece from the street stalls, and make a terrific gift for those back home. You will also do much better on the stacking dolls there than on the boat. The quality might not be quite as good, although I couldn't see much difference, but, heck, are you buying it as a souvenier or an artistic investment? I bought one on the ship for my mom and paid $65 on sale. I bought several just as nice in the street market all for around $20 each.

The other tip is to avoid buying the sweaters in Norway, Sweden and Finland and wait until you get to Tallin, assuming you are going there. You will find the same sweater you saw in Oslo for $300+ for less than $100 in Tallin.

Archived