scuba diving

laurieb1227

I'm in favor of going with a small operator over the ship's excursion. It is usually a better dive experience and is often less expensive.

In the Scuba Diving section you will find posts such as:

Grand Cayman...Ship excursion or shore dive?

and

Grand Cayman op to accomodate divers & snorkelers? in case you want to go along and snorkel with your son.

If you do go with Neptune's Divers, Casey and Keith will do a good job watching out for your son so you wouldn't have to worry as much. I know telling a parent not to worry at all about a teenager is unrealistic as I have at teen myself.

hope this helps,

Bruce

• 3 years later...

I am going to Grand Caymen with a group in February on the Westerdam. I can book thru the cruise line ($109) or with Neptune ($130+shortie (10) + taxi to and from)

I am the only one diving in my group, so just how much better is Neptune than the experience I will have thru the cruise? Is it worth $30-40 more and the hassle and cost of getting a 5-10 minute cab ride by myself to and from 7 mile beach?

I really just am not a big fan of the idea of striking out by myself in a cab, etc.

I am going to Grand Caymen with a group in February on the Westerdam. I can book thru the cruise line ($109) or with Neptune ($130+shortie (10) + taxi to and from)

I am the only one diving in my group, so just how much better is Neptune than the experience I will have thru the cruise? Is it worth $30-40 more and the hassle and cost of getting a 5-10 minute cab ride by myself to and from 7 mile beach?

I really just am not a big fan of the idea of striking out by myself in a cab, etc.

Sounds like you'd be fine going with the ship's excursion.

If money is an issue, you could always do a guided shore dive at http://www.sunsethouse.com

when i did the discover scuba back in 07 through the ship, we rode on the bus with the regular lucky certified divers...there were just a few...so no need to worry about a huge group of divers going.

i have yet to convince dh to get certified...i'm dying to do it and go diving with him. we are gonna give him one more try at the discover scuba. the ship's tour people were awesome. they really spent alot of time with my dh trying to help him feel more comfy in the water etc.

we are booking the same tour again through the ship...and hope it's still with the same company. we are going with my db and his wife and it's their first time.

i did see experienced divers with their own equipment and talked to a couple of them. they had been diving all over....and they chose the ship's tour as well.

we were happy with our experience through the ship...and like i said, we are booking it again for next april.

Archived