Puerto Rico

My DH and I are on the Dawn for the re-positioning in November, and we'd like to spend a few days in Puerto Rico before heading home. Looking for suggestions on where to stay - we like reasonable priced places, walking distance to dining options, local, ethnic food is our favorite. We'd like to see the forts in Old San Juan and the rain forest. We're not afraid to use public transportation and are open to renting a car. We've got a 9am flight home so convenient to the airport would be nice. Any suggestions are welcome!

thanks so much!

I cannot say enough good things about the Olive Boutique Hotel. It is a small hotel with a rooftop pool that is just amazing. The hotel is so quaint and wonderful. We were able to walk to some great restaurants and just took a quick cab ride to Old San Juan. (Just a side note...Not sure of your age or interests but if you are looking for an active experience of a lifetime check out Adventuras Tierra Adentro. Amazing.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you want to be near the airport then Isle Verde is a good option. I stayed at the Hampton Inn which was great. Plenty of local food outlets in walking distance. Cheap local transport into Old San Juan (exact change needed)

Other options would be the Condado area or in Old San Juan itself. There is free local transport around OSJ and you can get on & off when you like.

Remember the additional taxes on hotel rooms as they are not always published.

how easy is it to get out to El Yunque?

It was not a bad drive from San Juan. It's been a few years, but it was under an hour as I recall. Make sure you have a good map or GPS because it is not a straight shot, and you're making a lot of turns on small roads.