The NCL Escape in Tortola: Can you do Virgin Gorda/Baths on your own between 7am-3pm?

2guyscruisingfrommiami

We are going on the Escape in a few weeks and the time frame seems really risky to do Virgin Gorda/Baths on your own. I don't do organized excursions. Does anyone know any other option other than speedy's ferry to a cab?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's public transportation rather than an organized excursion and is the best option on a short port day...

Thank you, so just take Speedy's ferry and cabs?

Yes, the cruise line excursion is the same except they have a dedicated ferry as I understand it, and of course it's more expensive for the same experience. You would just walk 10 minutes to the ferry terminal and make the 7:45 ferry, $30pp round trip, there are taxis waiting on Virgin Gorda to take you to the Top of the Baths for $4pp each way. So it's about $38pp total + the entry fee for the Baths. The driver will let you know when to look for him for the ride back to the ferry.

There is an 11:30 return ferry, you'll want to get the 12:40 for the most time on VG. It's your last ferry and so you'll want to get back in time to get in line a bit early. But no one gets left behind and they will add another ferry if needed.

Enjoy ;)

You don't have enough time to explore more of Virgin Gorda, and the Baths may be crowded, but it is a unique experience, and you can always return on a land vacation! :D

You can find posts from folks who opted to go with a private operator near the ship that drops you off the beach at the Baths, but some of those reports have been horrible so do your due diligence if you look at that. Enjoy your day!

We used Patouche Charters and they dropped us off near shore and we had to swim in. It was fun and definitely an experience we will remember. However, if anyone in your party is not a strong swimmer I would take the ferry. It was really rough getting in to the beach and the crew did not give us any directions on what to do once we were through the baths. We all walked all the way back around the top path where you come down from the ferry. We were stressed the whole time we wouldn't get back to our boat on time. Apparently we were supposed to swim directly from the beach once you get through the baths. We couldn't see our boat from there so we were afraid to chance it. Not a bad experience at all, just tiring! But we were not at all stressed for time and I was worried we would be if we did the ferry on our own. I had read that often the earliest ferry is for the cruise excursions but I don't know if that was true or not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

I've gone back and forth about whether to go to the Baths from Tortola or St. Thomas. At first, I assumed we would definitely go from Tortola. It is so much closer, there is public transportation, there is no need to pay extra customs fees, etc. But the schedule just seems so tight. We'd have to be ready to get off the ship right at 7 am (a time when I'd way rather be sleeping), catch the 7:45 ferry, have 3-4 hours to do the Baths & Devil's Bay, and be stressed the whole time that we would somehow miss the ferry and then miss our all aboard time of 2:30 pm.

I've been thinking that instead of paying about $80 ($40/pp) for that stress, we'd find some roll call members who wanted to go in on a charter from St. Thomas and pay about $350 ($175/pp) for a relaxing day (6+ hours) at the Baths that could also include Cooper Island and Norman Island if we feel like moving on after a few hours. So I'm distressed to hear that some local charters just drop you off near shore and expect you to swim in to the beach and somehow swim back to the boat. Is that typical of all the charter boats or just a few bad operators? I assumed that paying several hundred dollars per day for a private charter would get you a captain who would at least drop anchor and swim to shore with you, if mooring at a dock isn't possible. Is this an unrealistic expectation?

Is that typical of all the charter boats or just a few bad operators?

I wouldn't say ours was a bad operator, we knew we were not getting taken all the way to shore. Granted, we did not fully understand that the water would be so rough or that we would be given so little direction. I would just ask very specific questions when you book it so you know what you are getting in to.

I wouldn't say ours was a bad operator, we knew we were not getting taken all the way to shore. Granted, we did not fully understand that the water would be so rough or that we would be given so little direction. I would just ask very specific questions when you book it so you know what you are getting in to.

Exactly.

Anonmon I'm not clear on the option you mention for $175pp that includes Cooper and Norman from STT - who does that? Is that Breakaway II out of Sapphire?

And what "local charters" are you referring to in your next sentence? From STT or Tortola?

It was a company called something like One Love Charters.

Exactly.

Anonmon I'm not clear on the option you mention for $175pp that includes Cooper and Norman from STT - who does that? Is that Breakaway II out of Sapphire?

And what "local charters" are you referring to in your next sentence? From STT or Tortola?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

You can find posts from folks who opted to go with a private operator near the ship that drops you off the beach at the Baths, but some of those reports have been horrible so do your due diligence if you look at that. Enjoy your day!

When I said "local charters" in the next sentence, I just meant that right here you said that there are some horrible reports about private operators.

And then here, you said that you were dropped off and had to swim in and it sounds like there was no guide/captain/whatever with you, so you didn't know how to get back to the boat.

We used Patouche Charters and they dropped us off near shore and we had to swim in. It was fun and definitely an experience we will remember. However, if anyone in your party is not a strong swimmer I would take the ferry. It was really rough getting in to the beach and the crew did not give us any directions on what to do once we were through the baths. We all walked all the way back around the top path where you come down from the ferry. We were stressed the whole time we wouldn't get back to our boat on time. Apparently we were supposed to swim directly from the beach once you get through the baths. We couldn't see our boat from there so we were afraid to chance it. Not a bad experience at all, just tiring! But we were not at all stressed for time and I was worried we would be if we did the ferry on our own. I had read that often the earliest ferry is for the cruise excursions but I don't know if that was true or not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And then you

That was Gimmiethebeach's post.

If taking an independent operator from Tortola I'd stick with Patouche.

If coming from STT you spend much more time enroute but it is possible, Breakaway II is another option for day visitors.

The swim from a mooring into the beach at the Baths can be very difficult depending on the sea conditions and is not for weaker swimmers.

The one benefit with the STT option is if you can see there are no ships docked at Tortola or VG that day you can experience the Baths without the bigger crowds...But you'd have to check the cruise ship schedule, and there could still be a change where a ship docks at Tortola that day, so no guarantees...

If coming from STT you spend much more time enroute but it is possible, Breakaway II is another option for day visitors.

The swim from a mooring into the beach at the Baths can be very difficult depending on the sea conditions and is not for weaker swimmers.

The one benefit with the STT option is if you can see there are no ships docked at Tortola or VG that day you can experience the Baths without the bigger crowds...But you'd have to check the cruise ship schedule, and there could still be a change where a ship docks at Tortola that day, so no guarantees...

Sorry, I did a bad job grammatically there. I was replying to each of you as "you" and that is totally confusing. I knew that you were different people, but both of you posted about the complications of going to the Baths via private charter, and after that, you both posted about being confused by my post.

In any case, I asked my husband if it was really that important to him to go to the Baths and he said that he was only going because he thought it was important to me. So it turns out that we don't have to take the ferry or the private charter. We're just going to take a cab to the beach in both STT and Tortola! We'll go to the Baths some other year when we have a reasonable amount of time in port at a reasonable time of day.

In any case, I asked my husband if it was really that important to him to go to the Baths and he said that he was only going because he thought it was important to me. So it turns out that we don't have to take the ferry or the private charter. We're just going to take a cab to the beach in both STT and Tortola! We'll go to the Baths some other year when we have a reasonable amount of time in port at a reasonable time of day.

No worries! :)

The Baths can be a challenge so just heading to a beach is a much more relaxing day.

Our favorite beach on STT by taxi is Sapphire, gorgeous beach with nice views and all the amenities you want. Have you been there? Nice drone video in this webcam link -

www.sapphireinthesun.com

Another webcam by the new beach bar -

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/us-virgin-islands/st-thomas/east-end/saint-thomas-virgin-islands.html

If renting a car or hiring a driver and looking for a quieter beach, Hull Bay and Cowpet Bay (Elysian Beach) are much less frequented by day visitors and both have beach bars but lounges are a question.

Cowpet Bay -

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/us-virgin-islands/st-thomas/east-end/saint-thomas-cowpet-bay.html

On Tortola both Cane Garden Bay and Brewers Bay are a 20 minute, $8pp safari taxi, or you can take a private taxi for a little more. Taxis will return to pick you up for your return.

CGB is where most day visitors go because it is a larger bay, and there are multiple beach restaurants there. If going there I'd suggest renting lounges and an umbrella at Myett's. They also have the best food and a nice veranda. Tony's next door also has great food.

Brewers is a smaller bay with a very nice beach and one beach bar and one restroom so it's much less crowded. More like that Caribbean beach you've been looking for. Both beaches are typically very calm, but can be rougher depending on the conditions. Below is a link to a webcam at CGB, you can find videos of both beaches on YouTube.

http://www.resortcams.com/webcams/cane-garden-bay/

No worries! :)

The Baths can be a challenge so just heading to a beach is a much more relaxing day.

Our favorite beach on STT by taxi is Sapphire, gorgeous beach with nice views and all the amenities you want. Have you been there? Nice drone video in this webcam link -

www.sapphireinthesun.com

Another webcam by the new beach bar -

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/us-virgin-islands/st-thomas/east-end/saint-thomas-virgin-islands.html

If renting a car or hiring a driver and looking for a quieter beach, Hull Bay and Cowpet Bay (Elysian Beach) are much less frequented by day visitors and both have beach bars but lounges are a question.

Cowpet Bay -

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/us-virgin-islands/st-thomas/east-end/saint-thomas-cowpet-bay.html

On Tortola both Cane Garden Bay and Brewers Bay are a 20 minute, $8pp safari taxi, or you can take a private taxi for a little more. Taxis will return to pick you up for your return.

CGB is where most day visitors go because it is a larger bay, and there are multiple beach restaurants there. If going there I'd suggest renting lounges and an umbrella at Myett's. They also have the best food and a nice veranda. Tony's next door also has great food.

Brewers is a smaller bay with a very nice beach and one beach bar and one restroom so it's much less crowded. More like that Caribbean beach you've been looking for. Both beaches are typically very calm, but can be rougher depending on the conditions. Below is a link to a webcam at CGB, you can find videos of both beaches on YouTube.

http://www.resortcams.com/webcams/cane-garden-bay/

We have never been anywhere in the Virgin Islands. I've heard good things about both Sapphire and Coki on STT. We're definitely not renting a car or hiring a driver.

One thing we like to do is snorkel from the shore. Between Sapphire and Coki, and also between CGB and Brewer's, where is the snorkeling better?

Thanks!

You'll get different opinions between Sapphire and Coki. Coki is too crowded for us on the beach and in the water so we prefer Sapphire but read up on these on the STT forum.

For snorkeling on Tortola it's Brewers hands down.

Here is a great post from Beautiful Bill on the STT forum on TA. Bill owns there and knows Sapphire very well.

"There are a few reefs and locations at Sapphire for snorkeling. The most popular is the reef in front of the B and C building where there are various fish and coral although a lot of that coral has been damaged by people standing and walking on it. To the far left there is another reef at Pelican Beach that is very shallow but is less visited

Straight out from the main beach you will see a dark area that is seagrass. That's where you often see turtles, rays, and squid

If you walk over to Pelican Beach and head out to the point you will see a little snorkeled area with nice fish and coral

Walk over to Red Beach which is the beach in front of the D and E building. Ease your way over all the rocks and swim once your in thigh deep. There is a very nice reef with large schools of tropical fish. If you are a strong swimmer swim around the point and come back by the main reef at Sapphire. Be careful because there can be a strong current beyond the point."