Legend to Alaska July 25 - questions re dress

engteacher

We will be on the Legend to Alaska on July 25. On the 7 day itinerary, which night is elegant night? I have heard conflicting reports about what people are supposed to wear to the MDR on non-elegant nights. Some places have said that nice jeans are allowed for men on the Alaska itineraries. My husband is not a dress-up guy, and he does not ever wear a sport coat or tie. I can convince him to put on khakis, but he feels that is more for elegant night and not for every night dining. We have reservations at the Steakhouse and he will wear khakis for that night. Those of you who have been on the Alaska cruises, what did you notice about men's clothing in the MDR. We will be having YTD, if that makes any difference.

Just got off the Legend last week and also had YTD. Elegant night will be Wed night and Sunday night.

It was definitely less "elegant" then Caribbean cruises but I still did see a lot of men in suit pants with a dress shirt, not necessarily with a tie. I think khakis with a polo shirt would be fine. The other nights feel free to wear whatever.

I am one that always overdresses and usually wears a sundress every night. Since it was Alaska, I had to force myself not to pack multiple dresses but I still wore dresses on both elegant nights. They were definitely less fancy ones that I would normally wear though. It is VERY causal on the Alaska cruise and I was definitely overdressed every night but that is what I am most comfortable in. I saw men in mostly t shirts in jeans and/or cargo shorts.

We will be on the Legend to Alaska on July 25. On the 7 day itinerary, which night is elegant night? I have heard conflicting reports about what people are supposed to wear to the MDR on non-elegant nights. Some places have said that nice jeans are allowed for men on the Alaska itineraries. My husband is not a dress-up guy, and he does not ever wear a sport coat or tie. I can convince him to put on khakis, but he feels that is more for elegant night and not for every night dining. We have reservations at the Steakhouse and he will wear khakis for that night. Those of you who have been on the Alaska cruises, what did you notice about men's clothing in the MDR. We will be having YTD, if that makes any difference.

We sailed Legend to Alaska in July 2015. Amazing cruise!

We wore jeans to dinner on most Cruise Casual Nights. We wore shorts on the warmer nights.

On Elegant Nights, my husband wore khakis, a button shirt, and tie.

Just got off the Legend last week and also had YTD. Elegant night will be Wed night and Sunday night.

It was definitely less "elegant" then Caribbean cruises but I still did see a lot of men in suit pants with a dress shirt, not necessarily with a tie. I think khakis with a polo shirt would be fine. The other nights feel free to wear whatever.

I am one that always overdresses and usually wears a sundress every night. Since it was Alaska, I had to force myself not to pack multiple dresses but I still wore dresses on both elegant nights. They were definitely less fancy ones that I would normally wear though. It is VERY causal on the Alaska cruise and I was definitely overdressed every night but that is what I am most comfortable in. I saw men in mostly t shirts in jeans and/or cargo shorts.

Exactly! I brought some nice tops to wear with capris, hoping I could do that. But I was still pretty chilly on most nights, so I wore them a few times, but then changed right after dinner, or just wore jeans with the tops. We still dressed up for the formal nights (boys in shirt/tie) and I wore a nicer dress, but many did not. It's a lot easier to do all that on the Caribbean cruises, IMO. It's a lot of stuff to pack for the Alaska cruise, with all the layers you need to bring, plus rain gear, boots, etc... Now, I still don't think some things should be allowed, but it doesn't ruin my vacation. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I confirmed with the Maitre'D that the elegant nights will be July 26 & July 30. I am on this same cruise!

• 5 months later...