Birthday in Amalfi

mcnuss

Hi -

My husband and I will be sailing on Azamara Quest to celebrate two milestone birthdays and a milestone anniversary. It's a trifecta! As it happens, we will be in Amalfi on my birthday and we are trying to find something a bit special to do. None of the shore excursions proposed by the cruise line look all that interesting to me and I don't love big group trips. My idea of a great day might be a long lunch or dinner (we are there until 11 pm) someplace with a magnificent view.

I would welcome any and all suggestions from the experts here! Thank you!

Two friends, both with many many years experience in the US restaurant business (and when not working they spend their time going around the world to the best restaurants) are just back from a cruise in the Med. In Amalfi they dined at the Hotel Santa Caterina and one said they had their best ever dish there - a pasta in lemon cream - by all accounts a "died-and-gone-to-heaven" dish! They absolutely raved about the place, the food, views and service. We are now going there with other pals in August for our wedding anniversary and can hardly wait. Of course I will try the lemon cream pasta -amongst other things!

Wherever you finally choose, I hope you have a very happy and memorable day.

Because you are going to be porting in Amalfi (which is a tender port) does not limit you to Amalfi. Our favorite nearby place would be the hill top town of Ravello (easily reached by local bus from Amalfi or a taxi). But, unfortunately, our favorite Ravello restaurant (Rosselinis) is closed for lunch. So we would have to do some research to come up with something perfect for lunchtime...but there are plenty of options. If you have a pretty long port day you also could consider restaurants in and around Positano.

Hank

Two friends, both with many many years experience in the US restaurant business (and when not working they spend their time going around the world to the best restaurants) are just back from a cruise in the Med. In Amalfi they dined at the Hotel Santa Caterina and one said they had their best ever dish there - a pasta in lemon cream - by all accounts a "died-and-gone-to-heaven" dish! They absolutely raved about the place, the food, views and service. We are now going there with other pals in August for our wedding anniversary and can hardly wait. Of course I will try the lemon cream pasta -amongst other things!

Wherever you finally choose, I hope you have a very happy and memorable day.

Here is a link to the restaurants at the Hotel Santa Caterina in Amalfi. http://www.hotelsantacaterina.it/en/restaurants-and-bar. I have been to this hotel. It is spectacular! Very expensive but ideal for a special occasion.

Thank you all! When you say very expensive - more than say 200€ for lunch? I was looking at the menus and there are no prices which makes me worried that it's a "if you have to ask, you don't belong here" situation. :)