Who TO TIP, WHEN TO TIP, AND HOW MUCH?

tamlyn63

DH and I going on first cruise ever Jan 7-14 on the Golden Princess. I've been combing these boards for some time and just haven't been able to nail down an answer to my topic question. This is cruise is through one of my vendors for my business and as we qualified it is free. They have also included all beverages for all their dealers (besides us) who are also going. I just don't know who to tip, when to tip, and how much to tip.:eek: Can anyone help me please? Thnx in advance!

Tammy :)

Hi,

With Princess, the tip for your waiter,asst. waiter, and cabin steward is added to the final bill, listed each day onboard. Your bar drinks will come with the automatic tip of 15%. The rest of depend on the level of service given. I tip the maitre'd or head waiter depending if they did something to help make our cruise better like $20. I reward the cabin steward, waiter, wine steward and Asst. Waiter with bonus tips for any extra effort otherwise, I just go by the automatic tip, which you can change if there is a problem. People tend to forget to tip room service or especially the laundry.Hope this helps....Dennis

You will automatically be charged $10.00 per person per day to cover cabin help and restaurant help. As you buy drinks, you will be charged 15% for bar staff. So, you don't have to worry about who to tip or how much. Having said that, you may want to bring some extra tip money for special service. If you feel any staff member went above and beyond, you may want to provide an additional tip. If I get really good service, I tend to give extra. I'm sure others will provide their opinions.

If you are taking excursions at the ports, you'll need cash to tip the tour guides and bus drivers. Be sure to take plenty of $1s, $5s, and $10s.

You'll want to make sure you have exact change for taxis. Some cabbies may not give you change. My MIL gave a cabby $20 for the $6 ride in Cozumel but did not get change. She was planning to give a tip, but not that much of one.

You might ask your vendor (host) if gratuities will be included in their portion of the bill. If so, then it’s automatically added to the bill.

If they are not covering the tips, then $10 per person (pp) per day (pd) for the waiter, $5 pp pd for the assistant waiter, and $10 pp pd for the room steward. That’s considered standard (or base line). Envelopes are available by the purser’s area on the last day of the cruise, so you can just place some cash in them, and hand them out.

Needless to say, if you thought the service was exemplary, you are free to increase those amounts, and likewise, if you are not satisfied (which is doubtful – as these folks are really good at what they do.) In a similar vein, you are free to tip the head waiter, etc.

Have a GREAT cruise. :)

Are tips automatically added to your shipboard acct. and then you can add to it as on other ships or can you still do the individual envelope route with cash only?

While I've found it easier to have it added to the acct when we were on other ships I also found it slightly less personal. Just wondering how Princess handles it.

Highly recommend checking out tpkeller's link above for figuring tips on your own if needed. It's cool!!

Thx

If they are not covering the tips' date=' then $10 per person (pp) per day (pd) for the waiter, $5 pp pd for the assistant waiter, and $10 pp pd for the room steward. That’s considered standard (or base line). [/quote']

Hi,

Could you double check these tip guidelines? I have never heard such high numbers. The last I checked, Princess charged $10 per person, per day for ALL the recommended tips. Your guidelines add up to $25 per person per day, quite a difference!

Thanks,

Theron

Are tips automatically added to your shipboard acct. and then you can add to it as on other ships or can you still do the individual envelope route with cash only?

While I've found it easier to have it added to the acct when we were on other ships I also found it slightly less personal. Just wondering how Princess handles it.

Highly recommend checking out tpkeller's link above for figuring tips on your own if needed. It's cool!!

Thx

The standard $10 per person per day is added to your shipboard account automatically unless you ask to have it reduced. In addition to this, 15% tip is automatically added to all bar purchases.

Beyond this, I don't usually tip extra unless I get above-normal service from someone or I make a special request. For example, on our Golden cruise, our cabin steward was outstanding, so we left some extra cash in the cabin for him on the day we left. Our waiters were good but not great so we didn't tip extra, and we didn't make any special requests on that cruise so there wasn't really anyone else we needed to tip...oh wait, except in the spa, I tipped the person who did my massage. DH always tips the dealers at the blackjack tables as well, but I don't play blackjack so I'm not familiar with the tipping etiquette.

While some things (like bars) will automatically tack on 15%, we usually opt to physically tip those who have served us (wait staff for traditional dining, maitre d', room attendant, etc.) I have no idea how the $10/pp/pd money is split up by the ship to the folks doing the service...it is certainly easier for the passenger to put it on your account...but I just feel better...call me a control freak ;)

We also tend to find a drink person or bartender that gives good service and give him/her our business. After a while, they know your name from charging your room card for the drinks - which is scary at first ;) - but a nice touch too.

After a while, they know your name from charging your room card for the drinks - which is scary at first ;) - but a nice touch too.

So agree! :) We always tip some extra in cash - this way we know our guy/girl is getting the money directly. Never sure how they split that tip money. Its nice when your bartender sees you coming and has your usual drinks ready when you sit down. :)

Archived