Taxi Service in Santorini

Saraphine

We will be arriving in Santorini next month, and will be meeting a photographer in Imerovigli. We are planning on taking the cable car, and then a taxi from there. I cannot seem to find any information on whether there will be taxis waiting at the top of the cable car, or if we will have to walk to find the taxi stand. I understand the walk to Imerovigli is under 2 km, but we will be taking pictures and I would prefer we did not arrive hot and sweaty and disheveled! :D Any advice on catching a taxi once off the cable car would be appreciated!

What ship are you on? When we were in Santorini a few years ago, with two ships in port tendering the line for the cable car was lengthy! You may wish to see what the photography recommends if they are local to the area.

(By lengthy I mean hundreds of people)

There are no taxis at the top of the cablecar.

Some ships (I've been there three times with Holland America) land people for tours and transfers to the main town some distance south from the cable car (at a point where minibuses and coaches can get down to where the tenders drop off). There may be taxis at the landing point, I could not guarantee it. The cablecar is not accessible from the landing point. The ship then relocates during the day and everyone comes back down via the cablecar, pathway or the donkeys.

My advice would be to take the ships transfer and then if you like walking, walk back down the pathway by the cablecar. There are heaps of photo opportunities once up in the town and on the walk down. You could wait for the ship to relocate and then go ashore and up the cablecar but a big part of the day will be gone.

re queues for the cable car. When the tours come back they drop passengers and tell them how to get to the cable car for the descent to the tenders. Again long queues develop. Much better to find a café or bar overlooking the ocean and come down on the cable car when the queue has dissipated.

re queues for the cable car. When the tours come back they drop passengers and tell them how to get to the cable car for the descent to the tenders. Again long queues develop. Much better to find a café or bar overlooking the ocean and come down on the cable car when the queue has dissipated.

Agree.... Although we were the earlier ship leaving that day so the queues didn't dissipate early enough for us do we walked down alongside the donkeys with many others!

I believe the original post is about going up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are very lucky! We will be the only ship in port that day. I am assuming the nearest (or only!) taxi stand in Fira is at the main square by the bus station? Debating now about the nine minute walk from the cable car to catch a cab, or just doing the 30 min walk into Imerovigli! :)

We are very lucky! We will be the only ship in port that day. I am assuming the nearest (or only!) taxi stand in Fira is at the main square by the bus station? Debating now about the nine minute walk from the cable car to catch a cab, or just doing the 30 min walk into Imerovigli! :)

Have you sorted out where the ship will land you from the tenders? It may not be at the foot of the cable car (see my post).

Have you sorted out where the ship will land you from the tenders? It may not be at the foot of the cable car (see my post).

We will be at the old port with the cable cars unfortunately. I think they do stop at the first port like you described, but only people with ship sponsored excursions may get off there. :(