bruce-r I need advice!!!!

liasophia

You seem to know a lot about Costa Maya, so I thought I'd ask for your opinion. My Dh and I will be there Dec. 13 and we've booked a Resort Getaway excursion that's AI. After reading some posts on here, I'm wondering if we need to cancel and just do our own thing. We're not drinkers. My hubby prob won't drink anything but Coke and I'll maybe have one drink, prob non alcoholic. We're paying $60 for the excursion including lunch, do you think we should just take the bus to the beach and do our own thing? We have our own snorkel equip and that's mainly what we want to do. Thanks for your input!

Thanks. I don't think that I know all that much about Costa Maya, it is probably more that I'm just willing to share my opinions and photos.

Does the AI excursion include boat snorkeling? If it does, then it sounds good. A boat snorkel trip with lunch for $30 isn't a bad price. Snorkeling from a boat is usually much better than shore snorkeling, especially snorkeling from a sandy beach. The better shore snorkeling is usually found off of a rocky shoreline. If the excursion is only the beach break kind of thing, then it doesn't sound like a very good value for you. You could snorkel for free from the "beach" at the Costa Maya port facilities, then you could go explore Mahahual. Or you could do it in reverse, go to Mahahual, explore a bit, maybe go snorkeling from a boat there, and if not snorkel from shore back by the dock.

As for what you should do, I'd hate to tell you in case it turned out badly, but I know that we had a very nice time just hanging out on the beach for most of the day and it cost less than $50 for the 4 of us (not including the hair braiding).

Thanks so much for the advice!! Our package does include a snorkel trip, so I think we'll just keeo it! Thanks for putting my mind at ease! Have a great day!
If your package includes lunch and a snorkel trip, I'd say it was a decent value even without the drinks.

:D My wife and I are going to be in Costa Maya Wed Dec 21 and although I haven't been there, I've done a lot of internet reading and research with us booking our excursion thru Island marketing LTD. As what Bruce told you, we make our way to the all exclusive Maya Palms Resort where were doing the offshore/reef snorkle tour for $45. each which includes the full use of the entire resort when we get back. It's very exclusive and you have to "book in". No one can just walk in off the street. Check it out.

I have been to the Costa Maya on several cruises, each time we have made the excursion to Maya Palms. It is a beautiful resort with all the amenities. They have snorkeling, kayaking, clean beaches, clean bathrooms, resturant, bar, etc, etc. My wife, myself and another couple have gone on our own before. It is not worth the time or aggrevation for the short time we where there. Aggrevations like wading through beach garbage, and trying to find a place to hide your belongings, not having a bathroom, or a place to get a cold drink. If you do the math you will find the beach excursion gives your best value and quality time.

Whoa. Where on earth were you?? My indie trip to costa maya was totally free of 'aggrevations' our items were safe with our chair, drinks were coming cold and fast from one of the many restaurants nearby. i used the ladies room in restaurant, it was decent. I was suffocating on bleach, but better to suffocate on that than other odors. Food was plentiful, cheap and delicious. the beach was totally clean! beach garbage?? I'm so confused as to where you're talking about.

Hey Bruce-R,

What about these diving vendors who have stands lining the beach? Do you think they are safe? How much do you think they charge for a one or two tank dive? Would YOU do it????

Would you be bringing your own gear? That might make a big difference in your comfort level. If I was an inexperienced diver using rental gear, I would want to inspect both the boat and the rental gear before handing over any money. The boat should have O2, a first aid kit, and a radio at least. On the gear, look for worn hoses and discoloration on the air inlet on the first stage. The tanks' o-rings should be looked at before use. Also check the BC over. Be sure you can orally inflate it. Do these checks before you leave on the boat.

I've read recommendations for Arturo, but that was almost 2 years ago. I think that internet using cruisers have probably gone with one of the 2 operators that have an internet presence. Since he doesn't, they would be less online about diving with him.

Would I go with them? If I hadn't been traveling with my non-diving family, I probably would have since I would have had my own gear. I think I would dive conservatively in any case, no deep dives and not try to stretch my bottom time.

Price? I'd guess $60-70 for a 2 tank trip.

Whoa. Where on earth were you?? My indie trip to costa maya was totally free of 'aggrevations' our items were safe with our chair, drinks were coming cold and fast from one of the many restaurants nearby.
Your experience mirrors ours. If you look at the other posts by smittybt, you will see a majority of them are recommendations for Maya Palms. A person should adjust their valuation of these recommendations accordingly.

It's very exclusive and you have to "book in". No one can just walk in off the street.
Considering it's several miles from the port and city (i.e., the middle of nowhere), it's unlikely anyone would be walking in that area, anyway.

Considering it's several miles from the port and city (i.e., the middle of nowhere), it's unlikely anyone would be walking in that area, anyway.

You are so right. It is several miles from town and that's perfect for me and mine. There's going to be THREE ships in port the day we're there which could equal 6,000 people or more at the public beaches. They will be packed to say the least. I'll gladly pay the little extra for the relaxation and pampering at the exclusive beach any day. If I get tired of it, I can come and go as I pleased. I do want to do some shopping in town so if anyone knows if it's worth it or what shops to hit, please let know. Thanks.:D

You are so right. It is several miles from town and that's perfect for me and mine. There's going to be THREE ships in port the day we're there which could equal 6,000 people or more at the public beaches. They will be packed to say the least. I'll gladly pay the little extra for the relaxation and pampering at the exclusive beach any day. If I get tired of it, I can come and go as I pleased. I do want to do some shopping in town so if anyone knows if it's worth it or what shops to hit, please let know. Thanks.:D

We had 3 ships in port with us and majahual was so quiet and serene. I think a lot of people stayed in the lil tourist trap port area, and a few stayed on the ship or took planned excursions. Our area was serene and our dude from the restaurant really pampered us..and we didn't have to pay for it.

We shopped at the lil stands near the beach (and surprisingly were not accosted and harrassed by the salesmen) and although we looked at the stores around the touristtrapport bit, we didn't buy there as the prices were not on par with the quality, IMO.

Archived