Jet Blue - will they let you hop on earlier flight?

gkrnjlr

We were going to go Amtrak but then Jet Blue had a great price on our return flight and we snagged that. The flight doesn't leave till 850pm. Ugh, BUT it's okay!

There's an earlier flight that day with Jet Blue ($60 more per person) to book that one - which is why we booked the late flight...

I've only flown Jet Blue once out of FLL and that one time they offered to let me take an earlier flight than I was booked on. Is that common? Is there a chance that we'll be able to take an earlier flight if it's not sold out? Or will they want to charge us to change?

Thanks!

I just did a google search on "JetBlue Standby" and their policy came up. There is a lot of info there. But I am trying to copy what I think is relevant to you.

Standby travel

Pre-Flight

Standby travel is based on seat availability and is not guaranteed.

• In order to travel standby, you must have already purchased a seat on JetBlue.
  • There is no additional charge for this option.
  • You may list standby at the airport prior to your original flight. Standby travel cannot be listed over the phone.
  • You must travel between the same city pairs (i.e. you can be confirmed on a nonstop and travel standby on a connecting flight or vice versa as long as the origin and destination cities remain the same).
  • If you have an Even More® Space seat and choose to travel standby, you will forfeit the seat fee and not be eligible for a refund.
  • Mint® customers may travel standby one flight prior to their confirmed scheduled departure, but the Mint experience will not be guaranteed and will be forfeited if unavailable on the new flight.

Standby Options:

• You may list for standby one flight prior to your confirmed scheduled departure.
  • Customers in cities with multiple flights can travel standby ONLY on the same day.
  • If traveling out of a city with only one daily flight, the Airport can list you standby on the last flight one day prior.
    • Note that the flight prior to your confirmed flight may be a nonstop or a connecting flight.
    • If the flight option does not meet your needs (i.e. you are confirmed on a nonstop and the flight prior is a connecting flight, which you rather not travel on or the customer is an Unaccompanied Minor that cannot fly on a connecting flight), JetBlue does offer a same-day change option - fees may apply. This option would confirm you on the flight of choice and can be requested at the airport or by calling 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583). There would need to be availability on the flight selected but there would be no increase in fare.
    • Please note that to LIST standby only one person per PNR is needed at the airport. However, to CHECK IN each individual must be present.

Post-Flight (No Show)

Standby travel is based on seat availability and is not guaranteed and, depending on your fare, is subject to an additional fee.

• In order to travel standby, you must have already purchased a seat on JetBlue.
  • You must list standby at the airport on the same day of travel, pending flight availability. Please allow for sufficient time to list standby and clear security. This may vary Airport to Airport.
  • You must travel between the same city pairs (i.e. you can be confirmed on a nonstop and travel standby on a connecting flight or vice versa as long as the origin and destination cities remain the same).
  • If you have an Even More® Space seat and choose to travel standby, you will forfeit the seat fee and not be eligible for a refund.

Standby Options (No Show):

• You may list standby on the next available flight after your original scheduled departure.
  • Customers in cities with multiple flights can travel standby ONLY on the same day.
  • If traveling out of a city with only one daily flight, the airport can list you for the next day.
    • Note that the next flight to your confirmed flight may be a nonstop or a connecting flight.
    • If the flight option doesn’t meet your needs (i.e. you are confirmed on a nonstop and the flight immediately after is a connecting flight, which you rather not travel on or the customer is an Unaccompanied Minor that cannot fly on a connecting flight), JetBlue does offer a same day-change option - fees may apply. This option would confirm you on the flight of choice and can be requested at the airport or by calling 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583). There would need to be availability on the flight selected but there would be no increase in fare.
    • Please note that to LIST standby only one person per PNR is needed at the airport. However, to CHECK IN each individual must be present.