Norwegian Star - looking for current reviews

Makrilmom

We are sailing Norwegian Star in November and I'm looking for anyone who can share information about the ship..

This will be our first time sailing on NCL so any information shared will be great.

What activities are available for the kids (we have a range of ages in our group from 7-14 for kids ages) if anyone has a flyer that shows what activities the splash academy on this ship offers that would be great.

How's the food?

Any things we must experience while onboard?

Thanks in advance [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Star is our favorite ship. It is large enough to have most of our desired feature and still small enough for that intimate experience. No reservations required for the shows. You will probably have more luck finding cruise specific information if you log onto the "roll call" for your particular cruise. Just select "Find Your Roll Calls" at the top of this page and follow the instructions.

Since we are on the Star from Nov 5-20, my guess is that you are doing the Caribbean right after we get off.

Things we like about the Star:

The entertainment venues will accommodate all passengers so no reservations necessary. There is ample sheltered seating on both sides of the pool deck if the weather isn't cooperating. O'Sheehans is open almost all of the time - try their Poutine or any of the three kinds of wings or the Sheppard's Pie. A genuinely great crew. Waiters, Stewards, Servers, Bar Tenders...all with quick service and a quicker smile. If you don't enjoy this ship, you should quit cruising.

Since we are on the Star from Nov 5-20, my guess is that you are doing the Caribbean right after we get off.

The entertainment venues will accommodate all passengers so no reservations necessary. There is ample sheltered seating on both sides of the pool deck if the weather isn't cooperating. O'Sheehans is open almost all of the time - try their Poutine or any of the three kinds of wings or the Sheppard's Pie. A genuinely great crew. Waiters, Stewards, Servers, Bar Tenders...all with quick service and a quicker smile. If you don't enjoy this ship, you should quit cruising.

Thanks for these two golden tips that you mention in your response: plenty of sheltered seating on the pool deck and the fact that we can get Poutine in O'Sheehans! You never know what you might learn by reading through these various threads! Love this site!!

Thanks for the information [emoji846]

Yes we sail November 20th on the Caribbean itinerary!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

we love the Star! ive sailed her twice, and 3rd time is coming up in April. she was our first NCL ship so in some ways i think that's why she's so special to us.

in general, this class of ship is our preference for many of the reasons stated above ( no need to reserve shows, less crowds, etc.). while we have sailed the "mega" ships and probably will again, we much rather book smaller ones.

We disembarked on Sunday after a fantastic trip as a family. We had great things and some not so great but that was only because we've been spoilt by the entertainment on the epic.

Boarding was quick and easy

We had a balcony and others in the family had sideways inside cabins and we were all really happy with them. Plenty of room and storage and the most comfortable beds we've had for a long time.

The ship was the smoothest we've been on for movement from dock, it was so smooth you wouldn't even realise you were sailing unless you looked out.

The service mostly was good to great with a few not so good, the officers very visible and open to listening to feedback.

Liked the pool area, not too many beds round it so you could sit on the side and listen to the band etc. The cruise director team worked really hard.

On the negative, we had some disappointing service in some of the specialty restaurants. Others were great.

Cagneys and le bistro have the old menu so we were thrilled to still get lamb rack in le bistro.

5oclock somewhere was great before it turned not all night karaoke. They did white hot neon outside for the first time and it was still going at 3am - a massive hit with guests but was the only outside party.

We ended up speaking to the cruise director because timing was off, they gave all the bar entertainers their breaks at the same time when the show was on so if you chose not to go to the show, there was nothing. We discovered from the CD the breaks were supposed to be 15 minutes and pointed out they were 30 to 45 and it was put right the next day and those that chose to not go to the show got entertainment.

A fabulous group onboard call the four sea sons, jersey boy type but could do so many other things, they packed out spinnaker on the last night and would jump on the pool stage in their swimwear to give us some impromptu songs.

We really loved the trip, even though we had to question and ask for assistance from the crew on a couple of things. They sorted everything we asked about.

The weirdest thing though was the bier garden bar made people line up for drinks, try to sit on a bar stool and the bar staff shouted, there's a line. So we would clock who was last, sit on the stool then say I'm after him/her. It became a game with the bar staff, were were there every day so they knew we would be happy to wait our turn and point out when it was ours.

We disembarked on Sunday after a fantastic trip as a family. We had great things and some not so great but that was only because we've been spoilt by the entertainment on the epic.

Boarding was quick and easy

We had a balcony and others in the family had sideways inside cabins and we were all really happy with them. Plenty of room and storage and the most comfortable beds we've had for a long time.

The ship was the smoothest we've been on for movement from dock, it was so smooth you wouldn't even realise you were sailing unless you looked out.

The service mostly was good to great with a few not so good, the officers very visible and open to listening to feedback.

Liked the pool area, not too many beds round it so you could sit on the side and listen to the band etc. The cruise director team worked really hard.

On the negative, we had some disappointing service in some of the specialty restaurants. Others were great.

Cagneys and le bistro have the old menu so we were thrilled to still get lamb rack in le bistro.

5oclock somewhere was great before it turned not all night karaoke. They did white hot neon outside for the first time and it was still going at 3am - a massive hit with guests but was the only outside party.

We ended up speaking to the cruise director because timing was off, they gave all the bar entertainers their breaks at the same time when the show was on so if you chose not to go to the show, there was nothing. We discovered from the CD the breaks were supposed to be 15 minutes and pointed out they were 30 to 45 and it was put right the next day and those that chose to not go to the show got entertainment.

A fabulous group onboard call the four sea sons, jersey boy type but could do so many other things, they packed out spinnaker on the last night and would jump on the pool stage in their swimwear to give us some impromptu songs.

We really loved the trip, even though we had to question and ask for assistance from the crew on a couple of things. They sorted everything we asked about.

The weirdest thing though was the bier garden bar made people line up for drinks, try to sit on a bar stool and the bar staff shouted, there's a line. So we would clock who was last, sit on the stool then say I'm after him/her. It became a game with the bar staff, were were there every day so they knew we would be happy to wait our turn and point out when it was ours.

Did you have any children in your group? I'm curious about what the kids activities available are?

We sailed some mega ships (not on NCL) so the kids have become spoiled with all the extra thrills.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our kids did come but they're early 20s. The kids onboard that we spoke to had great fun. Couple of slides in main pool. The kids pool area was fabulous for younger ones. Table tennis, kids clubs. There were tournaments every day, dodgeball, soccer etc

We were on the star last year doing the fjords....and loved the ship.

Food was good and O'Sheehan's

Bar was a great alternative for

breakfast and lunch.

Also the quality of wine in the drink package was great.....compared to some of the crap wine they serve on other cruise line packages.

So......we have just booked today on the star in Oct.....yippee

bill

Edited by macattack1111
Spelling