How to get a taxi

xbriannao

This may be a silly question, but I'm from a small town where I've never gotten a taxi before. How would I get a taxi in Cozumel from the cruise port to Mr. Sanchos? And will they be speaking English? Approx. how much does it cost? And lastly, how will I get a taxi from Mr. Sanchos back to the boat?

Thanks everyone

There will be a taxi line just outside of your pier with a board listing the fares in US Dollars; wait your turn and take the first cab in line big enough for your party (there are some van taxis that can handle 10-12 passengers). Fare for up to 4 passengers sharing the cab to Sanchos should be about $17 - same fare will get you back. Most of the cab drivers speak enough English to understand where you are going. If there are no cabs waiting at Sanchos when you are ready to leave the staff there will call for one.

There will be a taxi line just outside of your pier with a board listing the fares in US Dollars; wait your turn and take the first cab in line big enough for your party (there are some van taxis that can handle 10-12 passengers). Fare for up to 4 passengers sharing the cab to Sanchos should be about $17 - same fare will get you back. Most of the cab drivers speak enough English to understand where you are going. If there are no cabs waiting at Sanchos when you are ready to leave the staff there will call for one.

Thanks John! It seems like you've been answering every question I have today, haha.

Happy to help! :) It never hurts to double check the fare with the driver BEFORE you get into the cab (there are no meters; fares are by zone/destination). I've always had a good experience with cab drivers on Cozumel - something I cannot say about taxis in Philly! :(

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with John, taxis in Cozumel are very easy. We often just take a taxi in to town and have lunch. There are sign boards at the taxi area as you're leaving the port. Plenty of people around who will ask where you want to go. Often, you may get put into a larger vehicle with others going to the same destination. This is nice because it can save you a few $$. Either way, very safe, definitely regulated, you'll have no issues. Enjoy!