OK...now I am so confused! Where to go!?

sue_vivor

We are traveling with our sons- 10 and 5, and another couple who has a daughter, 6. We want to spend an enjoyable day at the beach, let the kids play, relax, have some cocktails, eat yummy authentic local food, etc. We have booked the Beach Break Party thru Island Marketing in Mahahaul for $30/each, $20/kids (includes drinks, but not food).

Now I have read about the Costa Maya Beach Resort Getaway at the Maya Palms ($32/pp...includes food, but not drinks). I've also read suggestions of just "winging it" and going into Mahahaul, finding a spot on the beach and patronizing the local bar. (DH likes the idea of having a reservation *somewhere* - especially when there are 3,000 people getting off your ship, and there are other ships in port that day.)

Is the $30 Beach Break worth it? How much are the drinks a la carte on the Mahahaul beach if we just "wing it"? We're not big drinkers, but would probably have 4-5 drinks/each over the course of the entire day.

Has anyone been to the Maya Palms (Costa Maya Beach Resort Getaway)? How much are the drinks there? I've read that the food is excellent, and the beach very private. I like the idea of having the pool there, too. One more thing for the kids to do. Is it worth the $25 r/t taxi ride, in addition to taking the bus to/from Mahahaul?

So-- you can see why I am confused! I'm on vacation to enjoy myself, but-- as you can tell-- I'm a planner, and I like to have my plans set-up before I go.

Any info/suggestions, etc., offered would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sue

After reading a ton of threads....these are our plans. We are travelling with 3 kids, 8, 11 and 14. We will get off the ship, check out the pier area, rent a golf cart (near the taxis) for $65.00 for the day and drive to the Mahahual Beach. We will shop in Mahahual as prices are supposed to be more reasonable.

After reading a ton of threads....these are our plans. We are travelling with 3 kids, 8, 11 and 14. We will get off the ship, check out the pier area, rent a golf cart (near the taxis) for $65.00 for the day and drive to the Mahahual Beach. We will shop in Mahahual as prices are supposed to be more reasonable.

That sounds like a good plan to me, but I would probably skip checking out the pier area until after going to Mahahual. I would hate to miss renting the golf cart because I dallied at some "duty free" store or t-shirt shop. There will be plenty of time after the beach to see what is at the pier area on the way back to the ship. Besides, first to the beach gets the first choice on the beach.

Sue vivor: From what I have read on these boards, the drinks (beers and marguaritas, etc.) are $2.00 each. The way I see it, you would have to drink 15 drinks each to get your money's worth. We are just going to take a cab to Mahahual and find a nice spot on the beach (further down is quieter from what I have read). We will patronize a bar/restaurant for food and drinks and still come out ahead. The Beach Break party does not include food or transportation to Mahahual so the only thing you are really getting is the open bar. I wouldn't be worth a darn the rest of the day if I drank that much. We have 5 people in our group so we will definately come out cheaper in the long run.

We are just going to take a cab to Mahahual and find a nice spot on the beach (further down is quieter from what I have read). We will patronize a bar/restaurant for food and drinks and still come out ahead.

We are doing the EXACT same thing next week that you are jenny368.

Have fun!!!

Hi Jenny368--

Yes, that is what I'm thinking, too, about the $30 not really being worth it. Especially if the drinks at the walk-up bars are only $2/each. I'd be passed out by the time I drank $30 worth of drinks!

Instead of spending the money on the Beach Break, maybe using it to rent a golf cart and then going to the beach would be the way to go. The kids would get a kick out of the cart.

Bruce:

Do they accept a charge card for the golf carts or do you need cash?

They didn't even have golf carts when we were there in 2004. I would plan on cash, it will be easier. I think credit cards aren't widely accepted in Costa Maya.

We were just in Costa Maya on Tuesday. We took a taxi ($5 per person round trip) to Mahahual, walked about 1/4 mile to a place called Buluche. It was incredible. Great guacamole and salsa. Beer was cheap (2 for $3). We were the first to get there and had a table under a palapa and 2 lounging chairs on the water under a coconut palm tree. The chairs were free as long as you purchased something. The water was calm and shallow. We were able to walk about 100 yards out with the water only coming up to our waist.

I highly recommend going to Mahahual first. The prices in the shops are WAY cheaper than the port of Costa Maya. We were able to buy items for 1/3 of the price that they were selling in Costa Maya port.

This is exactly what we did 2 weeks ago....it was so much fun having our own golf cart. At the beach (El Faro Restaurant) we had free chairs, there is some shade, massages ($20/40 min) and ate and drank. We had chips and salsa (very good), quessadillas, tacos, and atleast 8 drinks total and our bill was only $48.00...I tipped an additional $20 because the service was really good. The prices of items there is alot cheaper than near the pier. If they ask $20 you pay about $8 or $10....they just want you to buy!!! It is very authentic there too....just little huts on a dirty/sandy road right next to the beach......lot's of fun!! They do not take credit cards for the golf carts. Someone has to leave a driver's license and anyone over 18 can drive it....we all took turns since we were all over 18.

Archived