Pixtreme PX01 digital underwater camera?

DANofNORTH

I have been researching inexpensive digital underwater cameras and discovered the "Pixtreme PX01" which is 3.3 MP, 4x digital zoom (I know optical is better) and is good to 150'. About $90 including the underwater case.

I have recieved comments from several helpful people, but they havn't actually bought one. Has anyone bought one and how is it working?

I didn't want to spend $400 for a camera that I'll only use every 2nd or 3rd year!:eek:

We have a cruise booked for next November on the Tahian Princes and I like to snorkel, a lot!! The disposables are ok but they have their draw backs.:(

So, if you have a 'Pixtreme' let me know what you think, or if you have purchased another fairly cheap digital underwater camera, let me know.

THANKS

Although it costs a bit more, I bought the pentax optio waterproof digital. It is 5.0 megapixels and has some zoom capability. It is waterproof to 5 feet for 30 minutes. It's not suitable for diving, but it works fine for beach and snorkeling. It does not require any housing and also works fine out of the water. There is also a new one out by Sony, but I haven't tried that one first hand.

• 2 weeks later...

It would appear, from the lack of response, that very few people have purchased or even heard of this camera.:p

That in itself speaks volumes! I guess I had better invest in +/- $400 and buy a decent camera & housing. Canon seem to make a pretty good :D combination set.

The 35mm diposables, for me, just will not cut it any more.:(

Thanks to those that resopnded.:)

I'm in the same boat as you and looking for info. too.... I'm looking at the Olympus stylus 600... I had it recommended to me by someone who dives and she loves it... It's roughly $250-$299 depending on where you purchase.. Housing is about $150... I'm actually going to play with one tuesday to see how it handles... So you might check into this camera... It's not easy with so many decisions but I currently have the Sea Life DC 310 and honestly, while it has taken some good photos, it's a piece of s***.... The whole system flooded the first time I ever used it... Now it's in for repair as the door where the batteries/memory card is broke...Always something.. And I've used it about 5 times... So stay away from that camera... lol......

I purchased a pixtreme for a trip last may. Although it seemed cheaply made it took pretty decent pictures, considerably better than a disposeable (at least for a couple of days). Something went wrong and the camera would shut itself off after only one shot when using the internal memory and would not even take a picture using an additional SD card.

Upon return from the cruise I contated the manufacturer of the camera and was given a couple of suggestions of what could be wrong. Neither proved to be the case and I was issued an RMA.

Before getting the camera returned I was stationed overseas for the last six months and did not get return accomplished until last week. I did call to make sure the RMA would still be valid.

The customer service department seems very interested in getting the problem resolved, I will let you know how things go.

I will be returning to Cozumel in Feb. and hope to dive with camera there.

This is the second person who has had a problem with this camera.

I don't want to be on a cruise of a lifetime and my UW camera dies in the middle of a snorkel excursion. :eek: Talk about a major dissapointment, even if they are willing to repair it.

Bummer! I guess that I will start looking at the Cannon & Olympus cameras as well as the others that folks have recommended. BIG $ but I guess its worth it!

Thanks everyone. ;)

As we only snorkel on an occasional basis we have decided to purchase a Pentax WPi for our cruise in April (hope the price drops a bit after the Christmas / New Year period) rather than purchase an expensive housing for one of our existing digital cameras. There are limitations to this camera but it suits our needs - perhaps one to consider?

• 1 month later...

Thanks Everyone!

After a lot of research, I just bought the CANON PowerShot A520 camera & the underwater housing. :D

An aquatence of mine who scuba's has the predesesor & loves it! He has used his to 140' + which is deeper than it's rated but has worked great. The A520 even has an underwater mode that automatically adjusts the white balance. It's also good to 130', I only snorkel so I'm OK! (and then some!)

I will not be using it until November 06 on our Tahiti cruise, I'll let you know how it works.

I decided against the Pixtreme as it's reliability seems questionable. :mad: The A520 is also starting to go on sale. New models coming out soon I suppose!

Archived