What Should I Be Wearing??

momrek06

HELLO ALL: Okay, Our first cruise ever and man are we NOVICES! We are headed to the W. Caribbean 01/03/06 4 days! What FORMAL or SEMI FORMAL wear will the DH & I need? How many Captain's Dinner's will we have on the 4 day? UGH, remember we know NOTHING? HELP:eek: Any fashion attire POSTS are needed! How many bath suits etc etc:o Thanks, momrek06:D

Cruise docs should tell you suggested wear on each night, also, check the brochure, if you have one, or on the cruiselines web oage- Things to know before you go, usually, Almost always you will find this info (guidelines, sort of) near the back of the book.

Bathing suits. take at least two- nothing is worse than being in an air-conditioned room and stepping into an ice cold wet bathing suit!

What cruise line? some are more sticklers for attire than others.

For formal night. Floor length gown is best, for informal cocktail dress.

Enjoy! You'll find 4 days is too short to really get a taste. you just get your bearings and it's time to get off!

Karie

leaving 03 Jan for 12 days Panama (out of New York) on the QM2

We just figured it out. We think this is our 11th cruise. Or twelfth, but who's counting!

Momreko6,

Congradulations on taking your first cruise! I'm sure you'll have a blast.

To know how many formal/informal/casual nights there are, I would call your cruiseline and ask. Or, that information will probably also be available in their brochure and/or their website.

Personally, I've never been on a 4 night cruise, but my understanding is that they are generally more casual than the longer ones. But I could be wrong. Also, some cruiselines are a bit more formal than others, so perhaps if you told us which line/ship you'll be cruising on some members can give you more insight.

For daytime, think about ports and activities. Will you be hanging out at the pool alot or perhaps snorkling somewhere? Those kinds of factors will determine how many swim suits you should bring. Don't worry about bringing any beach towels, the cruiseline will provide those.

Also, think about what other activites you'll get involved in, either on or off the ship. Aboard ship, will you work out at the gym or go to the spa? One day....everyday? So that will determine how much work-out clothing you need. If you're aboard during the day, there are activities like ping-pong, bingo, art auctions, movies, etc, so you'll need casual clothes - whatever your style is.

Make a list of the toiletries you'll need - sunblock, aspirin, etc. Those things are very expensive to buy aboard ship. Cabin amenities include shampoo, conditoner, body moisturizer and that's it most of the time. I tend to not like their shampoo, so I bring my own. On some ships, the hairdryer is attached to the bathroom wall, hence useless, so I bring my own and plug it in by the desk/vanity so I can dry my hair while DH is in the shower.

Jane

Don't know what ship you are sailing, but on RCCL and Carnival you do not need to wear cocktale dresses on the "country club" casual night or whatever your cruiseline calls the nights that are between formal and total casual.

Those nights, nice pant suits or sundresses are allowed for women. I have seen many women in nice slacks and a dressy sweater set or dressy top. Men can wear kacki pants such as Dockers and a collared polo shirt or nice Hawaiian shirt such as Tommy Bahamas or similar. Some men tuck in the Hawaiian shirts on such nights, but actually that isn't required. As you can see this attire is not cocktale attire but is not tailgating attire or beach party attire either. You may see some men in sports jackets, but probably not a tie on dressy casual nights.

That said, I have seen women in formal and cocktale attire every night on ships, regardless of suggested attire, but be assured that on RCCL and Carnival that is not expected. If you are on a Crystal Cruise, the dress expectations may be more stringent.

Archived