Chacchoben Ruins...on our own??

Ready2Sail05

We are considering doing the Chacchoben Ruins tour but not sure...is that something we can plan on doing last minute and on our own or should we be sure to book ahead of time? One of the people in our party isn't keen on tour guides and is wondering if we can catch a taxi or something and go see them that way? Is it safe to venture out on your own in Costa Maya? I'm leaning towards using Ivan/David but not sure...advice? Suggestions?

I just returned from there. Yes you can visit on your own, we saw taxis and rental cars. The rental car place that we saw was in the village and it's tiny little yellow cars with Rent Car written across the hood in capital blue letters. Although a long drive to get there,the ruins are very easy to find on your own should you wish to do so and from our experience there, traveling would be safe.

All that being said, the entrance fee to the ruins if you are on your own is $33USD and I don't know the cost of the rental car. David and Ivan charge $43 and that includes transportation and the entrance fee. The warmth, humor and information that they provide with their tour is simply priceless. IMO, you would be missing so much by going it alone.

We also aren't "guided tour" people but after reading the information on this board we booked with David and Ivan. David was our guide and we were honestly captivated and hung on his every word and it added so much to our experience. In short, that tour is something we will remember for a life time.

Archived