Many Questions

Uconnfan

Hi,

Im going on the Dawn on Jan 12th. I have some questions.

Can my friend and I have seperate accounts on board? Its easier with two people at the end.

We are celebrating a birthday. Do they do anything special?

How is the shopping in St Thomas?? Really

We booked a guarentee outside cabin. When do we find out where we are located?

How long before we get the docs??

THANK YOU SOO MUCH

Tara

:D

UConnFan

1.) Yup! Two accounts, no problem. You'll set them up before you board, and prior to getting your key-cards.

2.) Yup! Tell the maitre'd, or the waiter, and they'll bring a cake for dessert, and the waiters and waitresses will sing for you.

3.) Can't answer about the shopping (YET!) :)

4.) Visit NCL.com Click on the space that says "Booked Guests Register Here" Complete the registration (Because ya gotta do that anyway!) and if your cabin has been assigned, it will appear on the registration. Also, be sure to print out each of your registration forms after completion, and bring them with you to the pier - this can help speed up boarding! ;)

5.) You should be receiving docs any time now. They'll either be traditional docs or e-docs, depending upon how you booked.

Any more questions?

How is the shopping in St Thomas?? Really

I guess it depends on what you're shopping for. If you want cheap liquor prices, it is the place to go!:D Seems like you get to bring back 5 or 6 liters per person because its a U.S.Virgin Island. We liked the shopping there, besides just the liquor.

We found the shopping to be hit or miss in St. Thomas. The liquor prices are great but check before you go to get the best deals.

As for jewelry, you can get extremes. Do your homework before leaving home at the local stores, and then go hunting in town and at the shopping center by the ship docks. I knew before I left home, I wanted a particular watch and got it for 40% off retail with no tax. I puchased a thin gold chain for my son and a 2-tone bracelet for myself but I thought the prices for the heavier gold chains for my husband were too high.

This past Feb. we got better prices in St. Maarten and bought many jewerly items, including DH necklace. The proprieter even complimented me on my bracelet and upon learning I had just purchased it several days before, he spoke to his associate to get the 2-tones also. So shop around, ask for prices, and be prepared to say no since they can be very pushy.

Have fun ... the Dawn is a great ship ....

last cruise it was my birthday and my butler and room stewards decorated the room with balloons and streamers and there was a small decorated cake and a card from them and another from the Captain-it was cool!

and oh yeah- a hanging towel monkey holdong a sign that said happy birthday.

St. Thomas offers the best liquor prices, as has been mentioned. DH and I like to go to the local liquor store and write down the prices of our usual brands so we can maximize our savings at A.H. Riise. Be sure to hit the tasting bar as you enter!

To be able to bring back the 5 or 6 bottles, at least one of them has to have been produced in a US Territory. A bottle of Bacardi and you're good as gold.

St. Thomas also has Mr. Tablecloth, a linens store. All sorts of great gift ideas there. Just watch out for the sizing on pajamas, and try them on!

Speaking of gold, our best jewelry shopping has been in St. Maarten. We were fortunate to be tipped off prior to our first cruise that the better buys were in St. Maarten. The port talks make it sound like there's no difference between St. Thomas and St. Maarten. It was sad on our first sailing to be seated next to a woman at lunch who was very disappointed. She'd found a bracelet she liked the day before in St. Maarten but waited to buy it in St. Thomas. It was $400 more there, and she couldn't afford it. :eek:

We've had great experiences at Joe's Jewelers, and gotten great deals. The name's cheesy, but everything we've gotten has been good quality at a great price.

As a matter of fact, we'll be stopping there in just a couple of weeks!

Happy sailing, and happy shopping!

Carla

Archived