Cartegena Emerald Jewelry Class

Wisdum

Haven't done it but be careful buying emeralds in Cartagena. Everybody will be happy to show you the price tag listing $999 but "just for you" they will sell the item for "only" $799. What a deal! Low quality emeralds at a "just for you!" price everywhere you look. Mr. Emerald is supposed to be a reputable dealer and I'm sure there are others.

Everywhere you look in Cartagena there is someone selling "genuine" watches, sunglasses, Cuban cigars, etc. None of them are genuine. I thought Mexico had a lot of folks trying to sell stuff but Cartagena makes Mexico look devoid of sellers. Our tour with Dora was good in that she kept them away from us. They started forward and she gave them "the look". They knew her and backed off. We were the first group to book with her that year so we were lucky enough to have Dora herself.

We took this class last Nov when we were doing the Canal on the Coral. The class is at a jewelry school/museum and you get to make some jewelry with some senior students. Very basic jewelry using some emerald rough. Then for the cost you can keep one and then they squeeze you to buy the rest. The class was rushed because the language hampered the speed of the class. My helper knew two words of English and then 3/4 way through class, my helper is animated with Class Instructor. 10 minutes later the Instructor told me she was upset I had not tipped her yet. She mumbles 6 words tops and was minimal help but wanted that money. My wife rescued them because I understand we are in a foreign country but rude is rude. So her tip was nothing to write home about and my wife bought hers and one of mine. Definitely not wort the money.