Taj Mahal tours

motone

Is anyone sailing on the Encore this October Dubai to Singapore? If so, will be there a tour to the Taj Mahal?

We are thinking of doing the exact same cruise in November 2018, but Seabourn can't give us a definite answer as to whether any tours to the Taj Mahal will take place.

Any information offered will be greatly appreciated - many thanks in advance.

We were on the Sojourn over the holidays from Dubai to Singapore. There was a tour to the Taj but if I recall correctly it was 2 or 3 nights and was expensive. I didn't bother going as I had been there before. Agra is quite a haul from Delhi on mostly crappy roads. I wonder if Seabourn could fly you directly into Agra.

We have been to Mumbai twice with Seabourn (2014 WC and a 60 day Odyssey cruise in 2015). My recollection is they did not offer any one day trips to the Taj - only 3 or 4 night overland journeys in which you flew to Delhi, took a bus to Agra, and also a bus to Jaipur. Don't recall, but probably departed from Cochin and returned to Mumbai - pretty expensive ~ $4,000 PP.

On our 2016 Silver Whisper WC, SS chartered an Air India plane, flew all WC guests to Agra where we toured the Taj, had lunch, and flew back to Mumbai - it was a long day, but was very worthwhile. And best of all it was a complimentary WC event. In addition SS also offered an overland journey that included the Taj, Agra and Jaipur at a cost of $3,999 PP.

Many thanks wire and DCCruiser57 for your info. When we looked at a Regent cruise last year, we were quoted about the same price as you mentioned.

On the Regent cruise we would have missed out three ports of call in India just by going to see the Taj Mahal, so that's something we'll have to think about.

Many thanks once again.

Motone, that's how it was on the Sojourn also. The 3 stops were Mumbai, Mangalore and Cochin, in that order with a sea day between Mumbai and Mangalore. People going to the Taj left in Mumbai and reboarded in Cochin if I remember correctly. As mentioned above that excursion went to other places besides the Taj.

It's almost worth paying the $4,000 to avoid Mangalore. An absolute sh@t hole where the ship berths down wind of a chimney belching out noxious gas.

Possibly the worst port of call on any cruise we have ever taken which has no place on a Seabourn itinerary.

Henry :(

We did the overland excursion to the Taj with Seabourn last year. We debated and debated because the price was so high, but boy are we glad we did. It was one of my travel highlights. We absolutely loved it. The Rambaugh Palace in Jaipur was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. The Taj was incredible. However, I understand it is covered in scaffolding right now. It would be a shame to not get to see it. But if it's not, I would say it's well worth it. Tough excursion, with lots of driving, and very expensive. But when all is said and done, I don't even remember the exact price, but I'll never forget what we saw.

'Possibly the worst port of call on any cruise we have ever taken which has no place on a Seabourn itinerary.'

India certainly isn't for everyone. It can be hard on the senses. I would have much preferred Goa over Mangalore but Mangalore is typical India. From what I understand the India authorities dictate the ports. We also stopped in Port Blair, another 'interesting' place.